Subject: [nvo3] Fourth Draft Charter Update for Discussion

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 1 Sep 2014 17:47:31 -0500

Dear NVO3 Contributors -

Based on recent mailing list discussion, Matthew and I have made some minor
changes to the proposed charter text. I have posted it below for your
review.

At this point there are a couple outstanding issues being discussed: 1. How
to be more clear about the "logically centralized authority" or control
plane, and 2. Whether to enumerate different types of traffic that overlays
will support. I plan to give these discussions a small amount of time to
develop better text.

But at some point we're just tweaking words and achieving diminished
returns. So I plan to Last Call the proposed charter text later this week
(including any text improvements that result from the issues outlined
above).

I appreciate everybody contributing to this discussion, and I look forward
to working on the next phase of the NVO3 WG together.

Cheers,
-Benson

http://svn.tools.ietf.org/svn/wg/nvo3/charter-ietf-nvo3-01-rev-20140901.txt

The purpose of the NVO3 WG is to develop a set of protocols and/or protocol
extensions that enable network virtualization within a data center (DC)
environment using an IP-based overlay approach. An NVO3 solution provides layer
2 and/or layer 3 services for virtual networks enabling multi-tenancy, workload
mobility, optimization, management, and security, addressing the issues
described in the problem statement and consistent with the framework previously
produced by the NVO3 WG.

The NVO3 WG will develop solutions for network virtualization based on the
following architectural tenets:
 - Support for an IP-based underlay data plane
 - A logically centralized authority for network virtualization
Network virtualization approaches that do not adhere to these tenets are
explicitly outside of the scope of the NVO3 WG.

In pursuit of the solutions described above, the NVO3 WG will document an
architecture for network virtualization within a data center environment.

The NVO3 WG may produce requirements for a network virtualization control
plane, and will select, extend, and/or develop one or more control plane
protocols to support the architecture. Such protocols are expected to fulfill
the communication requirements between an End Device and Network Virtualization
Edge (NVE), and between an NVE and the Network Virtualization Authority (NVA).
The internal mechanisms and protocols of a logically centralized NVA are
explicitly out of scope of the NVO3 WG.  Architectural issues raised by
coexistence of multiple logically centralized control planes in the same data
center may be considered by the WG. Inter-DC mechanisms are not in scope of
the NVO3 WG at this time.

The NVO3 WG may produce requirements for network virtualization data planes
based on encapsulation of virtual network traffic over an IP-based underlay
data plane. Such requirements should consider OAM and security. Based on these
requirements the WG will select, extend, and/or develop one or more data plane
encapsulation format(s).

Additionally, the WG may document common use-cases for NVO3 solutions.

The working group may choose to adopt a protocol or data encapsulation that was
previously worked on outside the IETF as the basis for the WG's work.  If the
NVO3 WG anticipates the adoption of the technologies of another SDO as part of
the selected protocols or data encapsulation, the NVO3 WG will first liaise
with that SDO.

BGP-based solutions to network virtualization within a data center environment
will be developed in the BGP-Enabled Services (BESS) WG.

MILESTONES

Done - Problem Statement submitted for IESG review
Done - Framework document submitted for IESG review
TBD - Architecture submitted for IESG review
TBD - End Device to NVE Control Plane Protocol Adopted by WG
TBD - NVE to NVA Control Plane Protocol Adopted by WG
TBD - NVE Data Plane Protocol Adopted by WG
TBD - Data Plane Requirements submitted for IESG review
TBD - Control Plane Requirements submitted for IESG review
TBD - OAM Requirements submitted for IESG review
TBD - Security Requirements submitted for IESG review
TBD - Use Cases submitted for IESG review
TBD - End Device to NVE Control Plane Protocol Submitted for IESG review
TBD - NVA to NVA Control Plane Protocol Submitted for IESG review
TBD - NVE Data Plane Protocol Submitted for IESG review
TBD - Recharter or close WG