Subject: [nvo3] I-D Action: draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-02.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Mon, 27 Oct 2014 16:02:43 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Network Virtualization Overlays Working Group of the IETF.

        Title           : An Architecture for Overlay Networks (NVO3)
        Authors         : David Black
                          Jon Hudson
                          Lawrence Kreeger
                          Marc Lasserre
                          Thomas Narten
	Filename        : draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-02.txt
	Pages           : 31
	Date            : 2014-10-27

Abstract:
   This document presents a high-level overview architecture for
   building overlay networks in NVO3.  The architecture is given at a
   high-level, showing the major components of an overall system.  An
   important goal is to divide the space into individual smaller
   components that can be implemented independently and with clear
   interfaces and interactions with other components.  It should be
   possible to build and implement individual components in isolation
   and have them work with other components with no changes to other
   components.  That way implementers have flexibility in implementing
   individual components and can optimize and innovate within their
   respective components without requiring changes to other components.

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-arch/

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-02

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-nvo3-arch-02

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Behcet Sarikaya <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:50:31 -0500

Hi Tom,

Did you check Linux Containers discussion in the revision? What do you think?

Regards,

Behcet

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Network Virtualization Overlays
Working Group of the IETF.

Abstract:

_______________________________________________
nvo3 mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 14:52:57 -0700

> Did you check Linux Containers discussion in the revision? What do you think?
Thanks for the clarify text. I still wish there was a more networking
specific term than VM for this, much like we talk about hosts instead
of machines, but I suppose the use of VM is pretty burned in at this
point.

Tom

---

From: "Larry Kreeger (kreeger)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 21:55:41 +0000

Hi Tom,

We do have a term in NVO3 - Tenant System.  It is when it comes to
concrete examples that we fall back on the most prominent example of the
VM.

 - Larry

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 30 Oct 2014 15:02:49 -0700

> concrete examples that we fall back on the most prominent example of the
I'm referring to wording in section 3.4:

"From an NVO3 perspective, it should be assumed that where the
document uses the term "VM" and "hypervisor", the intention is that
the discussion also applies to other systems"

---

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 31 Oct 2014 11:57:29 -0700

One comment on the architecture:

In 11.  NVO3 Data Plane Encapsulation: "The exact encapsulation to use
for NVO3 does not seem to be critical."

I don't think this statement adds much and it's debatable whether the
exact encapsulation is critical. I tend to think it is very important,
especially if hardware support for data plane encapsulation is
expected to be common in DCs.

Tom