Subject: [nvo3] RFC 7364 on Problem Statement: Overlays for Network Virtualization

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 10 Oct 2014 13:46:04 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7364

        Title:      Problem Statement: Overlays for Network 
                    Virtualization 
        Author:     T. Narten, Ed.,
                    E. Gray, Ed.,
                    D. Black, L. Fang,
                    L. Kreeger, M. Napierala
        Status:     Informational
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       October 2014
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      23
        Characters: 57831
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-nvo3-overlay-problem-statement-04.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc/rfc7364.txt

This document describes issues associated with providing multi-tenancy in
large data center networks and how these issues may be
addressed using an overlay-based network virtualization approach.  A
key multi-tenancy requirement is traffic isolation so that one
tenant's traffic is not visible to any other tenant.  Another
requirement is address space isolation so that different tenants can
use the same address space within different virtual networks.
Traffic and address space isolation is achieved by assigning one or
more virtual networks to each tenant, where traffic within a virtual
network can only cross into another virtual network in a controlled
fashion (e.g., via a configured router and/or a security gateway).
Additional functionality is required to provision virtual networks,
associating a virtual machine's network interface(s) with the
appropriate virtual network and maintaining that association as the
virtual machine is activated, migrated, and/or deactivated.  Use of
an overlay-based approach enables scalable deployment on large
network infrastructures.

This document is a product of the Network Virtualization Overlays Working Group of the IETF.

INFORMATIONAL: This memo provides information for the Internet community.
It does not specify an Internet standard of any kind. Distribution of
this memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC