Subject: [nvo3] Benoit Claise's No Objection on charter-ietf-nvo3-01-02: (with COMMENT)

From: "Benoit Claise" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 07:37:46 -0700

Benoit Claise has entered the following ballot position for
charter-ietf-nvo3-01-02: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-nvo3/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

overlay/underlay, I was confused, and had to re-read the charter multiple
times. In discussing this matter with Adrian, we concluded: "Definitely
worth a Comment saying "please pick one term and use it"

"Such requirements should consider OAM and security"
Hopefully LIME will be approved at that same time as this new NVO3
charter.

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 11:37:36 -0400

> http://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/charter-ietf-nvo3/

I think what NVO3 is doing is an overlay.  The underlay term (which I see
twice)
is referring to the IP network that the NVO3 overlay runs across.  I
suppose we could
strike out the underlay term if it is unclear.

> Hopefully LIME will be approved at that same time as this new NVO3

Absolutely

---

From: Thomas Narten <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 02 Oct 2014 13:20:30 -0400

> worth a Comment saying "please pick one term and use it"

Heh. At first reading, this comment didn't make sense to me.

The WG has consistently used the terms overlay and underlay to mean
different things. NVO3 is about building an *overlay* network over an
existing *underlay* network. Overlay/underlay are two different terms.

But looking at the charter, it seems we didn't even use "overlay" in
the charter text itself!

Suggestion:

Old:

    The purpose of the NVO3 WG is to develop a set of protocols and/or
    protocol extensions that enable network virtualization within a
    data center (DC) environment that assumes an IP-based underlay.

New:

    The purpose of the NVO3 WG is to develop a set of protocols and/or
    protocol extensions that enable network virtualization USING
    OVERLAYS within a data center (DC) environment that assumes an
    IP-based underlay NETWORK.

(Added words captilized to highlight).

> Hopefully LIME will be approved at that same time as this new NVO3

WFM.

Thomas

---

From: Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2014 13:34:06 -0400

> But looking at the charter, it seems we didn't even use "overlay" in

That's because I updated it after this email went out - on the telechat -
to  clarify.
If you look at the diff between the two versions of the charter
(
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=http%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fcharter-ietf-nvo3%2Fwithmilestones-01-02.txt&difftype=--html&submit=Go%21&url2=http%3A%2F%2Fdatatracker.ietf.org%2Fdoc%2Fcharter-ietf-nvo3%2Fwithmilestones-01-03.txt
)
, I changed it from

"environment using an IP-based overlay approach" to "environment that
assumes an IP-based underlay".

Regards,
Alia