Subject: [nvo3] WG Action: Rechartered Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3)

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 08:34:33 -0700

The Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3) working group in the Routing
Area of the IETF has been rechartered. For additional information please
contact the Area Directors or the WG Chairs.

Network Virtualization Overlays (nvo3)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Active WG

Chairs:
  Matthew Bocci <[email-masked]>
  Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>

Secretaries:
  Sam Aldrin <[email-masked]>

Technical advisors:
  Ron Bonica <[email-masked]>

Assigned Area Director:
  Alia Atlas <[email-masked]>

Mailing list
  Address: [email-masked]
  To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/nvo3
  Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/nvo3/

Charter:

The purpose of the NVO3 WG is to develop a set of protocols and/or 
protocol extensions that enable network virtualization within a data 
center (DC) environment that assumes an IP-based underlay. An NVO3 
solution provides layer 2 and/or layer 3 services for virtual networks 
enabling multi-tenancy and workload mobility, addressing the issues 
described in the problem statement (including management and security), 
and consistent with the framework previously produced by the NVO3 WG.

The NVO3 WG will develop solutions for network virtualization based on 
the following architectural tenets:
 - Support for an IP-based underlay data plane
 - A logically centralized authority for network virtualization
Network virtualization approaches that do not adhere to these tenets are
explicitly outside of the scope of the NVO3 WG.

In pursuit of the solutions described above, the NVO3 WG will document 
an architecture for network virtualization within a data center 
environment.

The NVO3 WG may produce requirements for a network virtualization
control plane, and will select, extend, and/or develop one protocol
for each of the functional interfaces identified to support the
architecture. Such protocols are expected to fulfill the communication
requirements between an End Device and a Network Virtualization Edge
(NVE) in cases where the NVE is not co-resident with the End Device,
and between an NVE and the Network Virtualization Authority (NVA).
The internal mechanisms and protocols of a logically centralized NVA
are explicitly out of scope of the NVO3 WG.  Architectural issues
raised by coexistence of multiple logically centralized control planes
in the same data center may be considered by the WG. Inter-DC
mechanisms are not in scope of the NVO3 WG at this time.

The NVO3 WG may produce requirements for network virtualization data 
planes based on encapsulation of virtual network traffic over an IP-
based underlay data plane. Such requirements should consider OAM and 
security. Based on these requirements the WG will select, extend, and/or 
develop one or more data plane encapsulation format(s).

Additionally, the WG may document common use-cases for NVO3 solutions.

The working group may choose to adopt a protocol or data encapsulation 
that was previously worked on outside the IETF as the basis for the WG's 
work.  If the NVO3 WG anticipates the adoption of the technologies of 
another SDO as part of the selected protocols or data encapsulation, the 
NVO3 WG will first liaise with that SDO to ensure the compatibility of 
the approach.

The NVO3 WG will not consider solutions to network virtualization
within a data center environment based on extensions to BGP or LISP
protocols.

Milestones:
  Done     - Problem Statement submitted for IESG review
  Done     - Framework document submitted for IESG review
  Feb 2015 - Data Plane Requirements submitted for IESG review
  Feb 2015 - Control Plane Requirements submitted for IESG review
  Feb 2015 - Operational Requirements submitted for IESG review
  Feb 2015 - Security Requirements submitted for IESG review
  Apr 2015 - Architecture submitted for IESG review
  Apr 2015 - Use Cases submitted for IESG review
  Oct 2015 - NVE - NVA Control Plane Solution submitted for IESG review
  Oct 2015 - End Device - NVE Control Plane Solution submitted for IESG
review
  Oct 2015 - Data Plane Solution submitted for IESG review
  Dec 2015 - Recharter or close working group

---

From: Benson Schliesser <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 17 Oct 2014 13:27:47 -0400

Dear NVO3 Contributors -

As you can see below, the NVO3 WG has officially been rechartered. Matthew, Sam, Alia, Adrian, and I offer our sincere thanks to everybody that contributed to this.

Now that we have this new charter, I’d encourage everybody to start working on the topics described in the Milestones. There are 3 major groups of Milestones that we hope to achieve over the next year:

Feb 2015 - Requirements
Apr 2015 - Architecture and Use Cases
Oct 2015 - Solutions

Matthew and I think it is important for the WG to start looking at specific solution proposals as early as possible, so authors are encouraged to submit relevant drafts starting now.

Cheers,
-Benson & Matthew