Subject: [nvo3] Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload-01.txt

From: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2014 21:04:14 -0800

This is a new version of remote checksum offload, the primary
difference from 00 is that the offsets are now relative to the end of
the encapsulation header instead of the beginning.

Remote checksum offload is supported in GUE in upstream Linux (will be
in 3.18, http://www.spinics.net/lists/netdev/msg302554.html).

VXLAN experts: I would like to implement this in VXLAN also. I think
the option could be compressed to 8 bits. Would it make sense to use
an available reserved bit (maybe call it for private use) and put the
data in the low order eight bits of vni field?

Thanks,
Tom

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From:  <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, Nov 13, 2014 at 12:19 AM
Subject: New Version Notification for draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload-01.txt
To: Tom Herbert <[email-masked]>

A new version of I-D, draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload-01.txt
has been successfully submitted by Tom Herbert and posted to the
IETF repository.

Name:           draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload
Revision:       01
Title:          Remote checksum offload for encapsulation
Document date:  2014-11-12
Group:          Individual Submission
Pages:          11
URL:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload-01.txt
Status:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload/
Htmlized:       http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload-01
Diff:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-herbert-remotecsumoffload-01

Abstract:
   This specification describes remote checksum offload, which is a
   mechanism that provides checksum offload of transport checksums in
   encapsulated packets using rudimentary offload capabilities found in
   most Network Interface Card (NIC) devices. The outer header checksum
   (e.g. that in UDP or GRE) is enabled in packets and, with some
   additional meta information, a receiver is able to deduce the
   checksum to be set in an encapsulated packet. Effectively this
   offloads the computation of the inner checksum. Enabling the outer
   checksum in encapsulation has the additional advantage that it covers
   more of the packet than the inner checksum including the
   encapsulation headers.

Please note that it may take a couple of minutes from the time of submission
until the htmlized version and diff are available at tools.ietf.org.

The IETF Secretariat