Subject: [nvo3] Last Call: <draft-ietf-nvo3-hpvr2nve-cp-req-13.txt> (Split Network Virtualization Edge (Split-NVE) Control Plane Requirements) to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2018 13:29:06 -0800

The IESG has received a request from the Network Virtualization Overlays WG
(nvo3) to consider the following document: - 'Split Network Virtualization
Edge (Split-NVE) Control Plane
   Requirements'
  <draft-ietf-nvo3-hpvr2nve-cp-req-13.txt> as Informational RFC

The IESG plans to make a decision in the next few weeks, and solicits final
comments on this action. Please send substantive comments to the
[email-masked] mailing lists by 2018-02-20. Exceptionally, comments may be
sent to [email-masked] instead. In either case, please retain the beginning of
the Subject line to allow automated sorting.

Abstract

   In a Split Network Virtualization Edge (Split-NVE) architecture, the
   functions of the NVE (Network Virtualization Edge) are split across a
   server and an external network equipment which is called an external
   NVE.  The server-resident control plane functionality resides in
   control software, which may be part of hypervisor or container
   management software; for simplicity, this document refers to the
   hypervisor as the location of this software.

   Control plane protocol(s) between a hypervisor and its associated
   external NVE(s) are used by the hypervisor to distribute its virtual
   machine networking state to the external NVE(s) for further handling.
   This document illustrates the functionality required by this type of
   control plane signaling protocol and outlines the high level
   requirements. Virtual machine states as well as state transitioning
   are summarized to help clarify the protocol requirements.

The file can be obtained via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-hpvr2nve-cp-req/

IESG discussion can be tracked via
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-nvo3-hpvr2nve-cp-req/ballot/

No IPR declarations have been submitted directly on this I-D.