Subject: [oam] New Non-WG Mailing List: oam

From: IESG Secretary <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 14:41:54 -0700 (PDT)

A new IETF non-working group email list has been created.

List address: [email-masked]
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/oam/
To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oam

For additional information, please contact the list administrators.

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2010 18:43:10 -0400

> To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oam

It would be useful to have a purpose listed for this list.

Marshall

> _______________________________________________
> IETF-Announce mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
>

---

From: Stephane Bortzmeyer <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 10:18:26 +0200

On Wed, Aug 11, 2010 at 02:41:54PM -0700,
 IESG Secretary <[email-masked]> wrote 

> To subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oam

Zero information in this message and zero in
<https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/oam>. Bad. And zero reply to
the follow-ups sent on the general IETF mailing list. Very bad.

---

From: Marshall Eubanks <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 12:48:20 -0400

> the follow-ups sent on the general IETF mailing list. Very bad.

It is clearly related to the 
IAB/IESG Joint Design Session on Forwarding Plane Operations,  Administration and Maintenance 
announced on August 20th (the announcement is appended below).

As it says below :

"Interested parties are advised to subscribe to the oam at
ietf.org mailing list for discussion and announcements related to the
workshop."

Hope this helps 

Regards
Marshall

-----

The IAB and IESG would like to announce a joint design session on
Forwarding Plane Operations, Administration and Maintenance (OAM) to be
held on October 12 through October 14 at George Mason University in
Fairfax, Virginia, USA.

IP and ICMP support very simple forwarding plane diagnostic tools (e.g.,
PING, TRACEROUTE). During the Internet's first decades, these tools
fulfilled most operational requirements. However, during the last decade,
network operators have deployed many technologies that rely upon
tunneling. These technologies include Pseudo-wires, Layer 2 Virtual
Private Networks, and Layer 3 Virtual Private Networks. While the internet
community has enhanced its forwarding plane diagnostic tool kit with the
deployment of Bidirectional Forwarding Detection (BFD), some suggest that
the tool kit is still inadequate for tunneled applications.

The purpose of this design session is to discover and document
operational requirements and constraints for tunneled forwarding plane
OAM. The design session will also entertain solution proposals. While most
activity in this area has been associated with Multi-Protocol Label
Switching (MPLS), session organizers also encourage generic proposals that
include other tunneling mechanisms (e.g., IP-in-IP).

The scope of this design session is limited to the forwarding plane.
Proposals concerning control and management plane protocols will not be
accepted. For example, a proposal that probes a tunnel for continuity
would be acceptable, while a proposal for reporting tunnel continuity to a
routing protocol or management station would be productive, but beyond the
scope of this workshop.

Those intending to make presentations must submit position papers to the
IAB/IESG by September 24. Position papers should constitute one to five
pages on the problem or solution space, with a particular emphasis on
areas that the IETF should address or revisit. Evaluation of the position
papers will be performed by a committee consisting of IESG and IAB
members. A limited number of seats will be available for persons not
presenting.

Position papers will be made publicly available. On the basis of the
position papers, a number of invited speakers will be asked to present at
the workshop. A final agenda with timeslots will be published by October
1.

Further information about position paper submission procedures are
forthcoming. Interested parties are advised to subscribe to the oam at
ietf.org mailing list for discussion and announcements related to the
workshop. Additional information will be available at
http://www3.tools.ietf.org/area/ops/trac/wiki/oamJDS.

Ron Bonica, IESG
Danny McPherson, IAB
Hannes Tschofenig, IAB

> Ietf mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf
>