Subject: [ogpx] Fwd: welcome to the ogpx list

From: Infinity Linden <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 May 2009 15:03:30 -0700

Welcome to the OGPX mailing list!

I just wanted to send out a brief note welcoming people to the OGPX
mailing list. The purpose of this list is currently twofold: discuss
the Open Grid Protocol (OGP) family of protocols and discuss the draft
charter for the OGPX working group.

To recap why this list was formed... In February of 2009, the MMOX
list was formed to contain discussions about virtual worlds protocols,
culminating in a Birds of a Feather (BoF) meeting at the 74th IETF
meeting in San Francisco. The scope of the MMOX effort was
intentionally broad as it's participants attempted to identify core
aspects of a general virtual worlds protocol; and this effort
continues on the MMOX list. A critique was offered by some MMOX BoF
attendees that the broad scope made it difficult to understand what
was being standardized. It became apparent that there may be
advantages to establishing a second group, a group focused exclusively
on the OGP protocol suite.

OGP is currently "officially" described in a series of internet drafts:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hamrick-ogp-intro-00 (OGP:
Introduction and Requirements)
The "Introduction and Requirements" draft is an attempt to broadly
define the problem domain of interoperable virtual worlds and
introduce architectural patterns in its solution.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hamrick-llsd-00, Draft 00 (LLSD)
LLSD describes an abstract type system and a protocol interaction
interface description language. OGP services are defined using LLSD.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lentczner-ogp-base-00 (OGP: Base)
This document describes fundamental aspects of OGP including
Capabilities and Event Queues.

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-hamrick-ogp-auth (OGP: Authentication)
This document describes techniques for user authentication, the first
step when interacting with an OGP service.

readers may also be interested in the reverse http draft as it may
have bearing on the implementation of OGP:Base EventQueues:

http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-lentczner-rhttp-00 (Reverse HTTP)
Reverse HTTP describes a mechanism for introducing bidirectional http.
In other words, it describes the protocol that allows a client to
connect to a RHTTP compliant server to establish a connection, then
allows the server to send a request to the client.

As a convenience, I am maintaining a wiki page at
http://wiki.secondlife.com/wiki/User:Infinity_Linden/IETF_Drafts_and_Meetings
which SHOULD point to the most recent OGP drafts.

The proposed working group charter will be sent to this list again
soon so charter bashing can occur in a different thread. (there might
have been a technical glitch preventing it's earlier appearance on the
ogpx list)

Over the next several months, we hope to see new revisions of the
drafts listed above and discussion about the drafts. With the creation
of the OGPX list, discussion specific to these drafts SHOULD occur
here in preference to the MMOX list. Discussion of MMO protocol in
general SHOULD occur in MMOX in preference to OGPX.

Sincerely
Meadhbh Hamrick