Subject: OpenPGP minutes

From: John W Noerenberg II <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 21 Mar 2001 22:31:24 -0600

We met on Tuesday afternoon, Mar 20th with the following agenda:

… Agenda bashing
… Pgp/MIME
… Openpgp oven cooking competition
… Pgp consortium
… Charter review
… Wg->fin_wait

Rod Thayer took down the minutes.  This message is derived from his notes.

There were no changes to the agenda so we proceeded with the remaining items.

The PGP/MIME draft is ready for WG Last Call.  The Chair expects the 
WG will be able to recommend the draft to the IESG within a month. 
John Noerenberg noticed a normative reference to the multiple 
signature draft.  He recommended removing the reference, but formally 
adopting multiple signatures as an additional work item.

The Chair is planning to sponsor an interoperability testing meeting 
in San Diego in late Spring or early Summer.  There are notes on the 
mailing list regarding a general plan for the meeting.  The principal 
goal of the meeting is to assess whether there are sufficiently 
interoperable implementations of RFC2440 to allow the WG to recommend 
RFC2440 advance to DRAFT status.  The workshop will also provide the 
opportunity to test PGP/MIME implementations and transport and 
network protocols which use PGP encryption and authentication.

The Chair announced that Phil Zimmerman is organizing a PGP 
Consortium for implementers and users.  The url for the consortium is 
http://www.openpgp.org.

Adopting multiple signatures as a work item will require a change to 
WG charter.  The WG members in attendance did not express a strong 
opinion in either direction. [Because of activity on the mailing list 
the Chair plans to request the IESG allow modification of the charter 
to add this item.]

Whether or not this item is added to our charter, we expect the WG to 
shut down by the next IETF meeting.

That completed the business of the meeting, and we adjourned.

-- 

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Peace of mind isn't at all superficial, really.  It's the whole thing.
   That which produces it is good maintenance; that which disturbs it
   is poor maintenance.
   -- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig, 1974
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------