Subject: Re: PGP/MIME implementors: text mode vs. binary mode?

From: John W Noerenberg II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 09:28:14 -0800

At 3:59 PM -0800 2/13/01, [email-masked] wrote:
>Isn't the real, operational issue here a question of whether trailing
>white space should be hashed?  The choices are to say yes, or no, or it
>depends on the type byte in the signature.

Have you considered the implications of format=flowed (rfc2646)?  Specifically:

4.6.  Digital Signatures and Encryption

    If a message is digitally signed or encrypted it is important that
    cryptographic processing use the on-the-wire Format=Flowed format.
    That is, during generation the message SHOULD be prepared for
    transmission, including addition of soft line breaks, space-stuffing,
    and [Quoted-Printable] encoding (to protect soft line breaks) before
    being digitally signed or encrypted; similarly, on receipt the
    message SHOULD have the signature verified or be decrypted before
    [Quoted-Printable] decoding and removal of stuffed spaces, soft line
    breaks and quote marks, and reflowing.

-- 

john noerenberg
[email-masked]
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------
   Peace of mind isn't at all superficial, really.  It's the whole thing.
   That which produces it is good maintenance; that which disturbs it
   is poor maintenance.
   -- Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance, Robert M. Pirsig, 1974
   --------------------------------------------------------------------------

---

From: Thomas Roessler <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 19:16:08 +0100

>     breaks and quote marks, and reflowing.

That's perfectly compatible with draft-05: Trailing white space will
be protected by the quoted-printable encoding of the flowed text, so
there is _no_ trailing whitespace in the signed material as the hash
algorithm sees it.

-- 
Thomas Roessler			    <[email-masked]>
This message may  have been certified to  be possibly virus-free.

---

From: John W Noerenberg II <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Mar 2001 11:17:25 -0800

>there is _no_ trailing whitespace in the signed material as the hash

Well done.