Subject: text + openpgp != mime

From: John Kane <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 16 Dec 2001 15:55:24 -0500

Some readers of this list, those who are engaged in the noble
task of implementing PGP/MIME, seem to have fallen into an
email-centric rut and appear to have great difficulty grasping
the concept of using RFC2440 in a non-email, non-MIME, non-MUA
environment.

Am I correct in assuming that there are valid, legitimate uses
for standalone OpenPGP implementations which are NOT integrated
into a mailreader?  Am I also correct in assuming that this list
is an appropriate forum for discussing issues relating to plain
vanilla RFC2440(bis)?

There seems to be a strong tendency to automatically misinterpret
any reference to 'text', newlines, or cross-platform issues as
somehow being inherently MIME-related.  What keywords should
people use if they want to indicate that they want to discuss
an issue within a pure RFC2440 context, or within a context of
addressing legacy-PGP / OpenPGP interop nits?

Pardon my blunt language, but this needs to get resolved.
Several recent RFC2440 threads have been cut short by posters
who change the subject to a non-RFC2440 context.  :-(

-- 
John Kane
New Hampshire (USA)

---

From: [email-masked] (Lutz Donnerhacke)
Date: Mon, 17 Dec 2001 09:57:44 +0000 (UTC)

* John Kane wrote:
>Am I correct in assuming that there are valid, legitimate uses for
>standalone OpenPGP implementations which are NOT integrated into a
>mailreader?

Yes.

>What keywords should people use if they want to indicate that they want to
>discuss an issue within a pure RFC2440 context, or within a context of

Binary.

---

From: Florian Weimer <[email-masked]>
Date: 17 Dec 2001 11:42:40 +0100

John Kane <[email-masked]> writes:

> somehow being inherently MIME-related.

In the RFC 2440 context, 'text' is defined to be encoded in UTF-8.
Perhaps this isn't what you want, either.

-- 
Florian Weimer 	                  [email-masked]
University of Stuttgart           http://cert.uni-stuttgart.de/
RUS-CERT                          +49-711-685-5973/fax +49-711-685-5898