Subject: [OPS-AREA] FW: I-D Action:draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-01.txt

From: "Romascanu, Dan (Dan)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Jan 2011 14:31:44 +0100

For those in the area who plan for bar-BOFs in Prague or at some other
meetings in the future - this is a good and important reading. 

Dan

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked]
[mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
[email-masked]
Sent: Wednesday, January 26, 2011 2:45 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D Action:draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-01.txt

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts
directories.

	Title           : Considerations for Having a Successful "Bar
BOF" Side Meeting
	Author(s)       : L. Eggert
	Filename        : draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-01.txt
	Pages           : 8
	Date            : 2011-01-26

New work is typically brought to the IETF by a group of interested
individuals.  IETF meetings are a convenient place for such groups to
hold informal get-togethers to discuss and develop their ideas.  Such
side meetings, which are not reflected in the IETF meeting agenda and
have no official status, are often half jokingly referred to as "bar
BOF" sessions, to acknowledge that some of them may eventually lead to a
proposal for an official IETF BOF ("birds of a feather" session) on a
given topic.

During recent IETF meetings, many such "bar BOF" get-togethers have been
organized and moderated in ways that made them increasingly
indistinguishable from official IETF BOFs or sometimes even IETF working
group meetings.

This document argues that this recent trend is not helpful in reaching
the ultimate goal of many of these get-togethers, i.e., to efficiently
discuss and develop ideas for new IETF work.  It encourages the
organizers of such side meetings to consider the benefits of holding
their get-togethers in much less formal settings, and to also consider
alternative means to develop their ideas.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-eggert-successful-bar-bof-01.t
xt

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

Below is the data which will enable a MIME compliant mail reader
implementation to automatically retrieve the ASCII version of the
Internet-Draft.