Subject: [OPS-AREA] Updating a published MIB

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 21:52:11 +0200

Hi!

The SIP MIB in RFC 4780 contains a SipTCTransportProtocol entry. The SIPcore group is about to add another transport (websockets), which means that we will have to update RFC 4780 with a new bit for websocket transports.

I've asked around and it seems to be a lack of information about the process of updating a published MIB. The IANA is not involved. And reading the wiki entry on OPS and MIB doctors seems to contain a lot of information about *new* MIBs but nothing on updates.

So my question is what the process is for changing parameters or adding new OIDs.

Thanks for your response! Apologies if I did miss something obvious.

/Olle

---

From: Juergen Schoenwaelder <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 29 Jul 2013 22:46:18 +0200

> So my question is what the process is for changing parameters or adding new OIDs.

This TC is defined in a separate MIB module, the SIP-TC-MIB. If you
want to add a new transport, you have to republish this MIB module
with the relevant changes applies (assuming there is nothing in the
other SIP MIB modules that needs to changes to accomodate the new
transport).

/js

-- 
Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>

---

From: t.petch <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 09:53:55 +0100

You will find a three page description of what you can and cannot do in
RFC4181 pp.28-31. This refers back to RFC2578 which is the authoritative
statement of what can and cannot be done.  And then there is the
[email-masked]
mailing list which is where most of those with expertise in MIB modules
lurk.

No, it is not obvious:-(

Tom Petch

----- Original Message -----
From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
To: <[email-masked]>
Sent: Monday, July 29, 2013 8:52 PM

Hi!

The SIP MIB in RFC 4780 contains a SipTCTransportProtocol entry. The
SIPcore group is about to add another transport (websockets), which
means that we will have to update RFC 4780 with a new bit for websocket
transports.

I've asked around and it seems to be a lack of information about the
process of updating a published MIB. The IANA is not involved. And
reading the wiki entry on OPS and MIB doctors seems to contain a lot of
information about *new* MIBs but nothing on updates.

So my question is what the process is for changing parameters or adding
new OIDs.

/Olle

---

From: "Adrian Farrel" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 10:00:19 +0100

[Adding [email-masked]]

To add to Tom's mutterings...

This is why we should think more often and harder about using IANA-maintained
TCs.

Adrian

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
> Of t.petch
> Sent: 30 July 2013 09:54
> To: Olle E. Johansson; [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [OPS-AREA] Updating a published MIB
> 
> _______________________________________________
> OPS-AREA mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ops-area

---

From: "Olle E. Johansson" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Jul 2013 15:59:45 +0200

> This is why we should think more often and harder about using IANA-maintained

THanks you for all answers! I will read the documentes referred to and try to make an update.
Would that be processed in OPS or RAI areas?

Regards,
/O

>> Thanks for your response! Apologies if I did miss something obvious.

---
* Olle E Johansson - [email-masked]
* Cell phone +46 70 593 68 51, Office +46 8 96 40 20, Sweden