Subject: [OPSAWG] relevance of draft-marinov-syslog-snmp-02.txt

From: "Rainer Gerhards" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 2 Oct 2008 12:03:35 +0200

Hi OPSAWG,

I am a syslog implementor and would like to endorse the work planned to
support mapping of SNMP to syslog. There are already implementations
available, those that I know out of my head are Kiwi Syslog, WinSyslog,
MonitorWare Agent and rsyslog (default or to-become default on many
linux distributions). I am sure there are also plenty of others. I think
Cisco has created a private syslog MIB, at least I think I remember we
used it some time ago.

I am the author of rsyslog. While I have not written the SNMP plugins, I
know from discussions that having no standard MIB for syslog messages
causes each vendor to define its own or (mis)use some private extension
of other vendors (as we initially did). Similar issues exist on the
receiving side.

While probably not mainstream, there are a number of installations who
do syslog-to-snmp (and vice versa) processing. So there is operator
demand for this kind of mapping.

Best regards,
Rainer Gerhards

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Juergen Schoenwaelder [mailto:j.schoenwaelder@jacobs-
> university.de]
> Sent: Thursday, October 02, 2008 11:48 AM
> To: Rainer Gerhards
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [Syslog] semantics of the origin SD-ID
> 
> On Thu, Oct 02, 2008 at 09:53:45AM +0200, Rainer Gerhards wrote:
> 
> > Also thanks for making me aware of draft-marinov-syslog-snmp-02.txt,
> > this looks like useful work.
> 
> Please let the OPSAWG an their chairs know since they need to
> determine concensus whether this document is taken on as an OPSAWG
> work item.
> 
> /js
> 
> --
> Juergen Schoenwaelder           Jacobs University Bremen gGmbH
> Phone: +49 421 200 3587         Campus Ring 1, 28759 Bremen, Germany
> Fax:   +49 421 200 3103         <http://www.jacobs-university.de/>
_______________________________________________
OPSAWG mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/opsawg