Subject: Re: [OPSAWG] ... re: draft-azinger-additional-private-ipv4-space-issues-01

From: Alfred Hönes <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 26 Jan 2010 15:07:25 +0100 (MEZ)

Marla,

Thanks for the solicitation of comments on the OPSAWG list.
(Unfortunately, the file name of the draft precludes its
automatic association with any related WG by the IETF Tools
web site.)

The document is well written (no nits to report!),
but it remains somehow unsatisfactory, leaving the reader with
the impression that every potential solution has severe drawbacks
and no serious general recommendation could be made in favor of it.

However, I do not see a logical reason for keeping 5.1.1 as a
sub-section of 5.1; I suggest to renumber it to 5.2 and bump the
existing section numbers 5.2 and 5.3.

One more significant detail: as time progresses, 5.2 already is
outdated, as can be seen on the IANA ipv4-address-space page:

After the recent allocations, there now remain
   >>>>      only *24* unallocated IPv4 /8s . [1]      <<<<

That -- in the short term (since the publication of the -01 draft
version) -- seems to be a slightly slower consumption rate than
what is predicted in the longer term by Geoff Houston's IPv4
Address Report (text updated by Geoff today -- thanks!), but I
don't know what's already in IANA's pipeline.

I would welcome a reference in the draft to the "IPv4 Address Report"
web page:
          <http://www.potaroo.net/tools/ipv4/index.html>

[1]
  For those particularly curious of the details:
  {5,14,23,31,36,37,39,42,49,50,100-107,176,177,179,181,185,223}/8.

  This means that the options for 5.1 or 5.1.1 (of the draft) using
  a larger contiguous space than a /8 already are scarce and might
  disappear rather quickly.  240.0.0.0/4 would be the only choice
  remaining for allocation of a /4 now, and for a /5 or a /6 (soon).

Kind regards,
  Alfred Hönes.

-- 

+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+
| TR-Sys Alfred Hoenes   |  Alfred Hoenes   Dipl.-Math., Dipl.-Phys.  |
| Gerlinger Strasse 12   |  Phone: (+49)7156/9635-0, Fax: -18         |
| D-71254  Ditzingen     |  E-Mail:  [email-masked]                     |
+------------------------+--------------------------------------------+