Subject: [OPSAWG] Charter proposal for an ENERGY management WG

From: "Juergen Quittek" <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 19 Jul 2010 11:20:03 +0200

Dear all,

As a result from discussions we had on energy management in this WG
during the past year, Benoit and I drafted a charter proposal for a
New working group focusing on energy management.

Please have a look at it and send us your comments. I hope, we will
also have opportunities to discuss it at the meeting in Maastricht.

Thanks,

    Juergen

Charter proposal (first draft)
==============================

Energy Management (ENERGY)
 
Description of Working Group
 
Energy management is becoming an additional requirement for network
management systems caused by rising energy cost and an increasing
awareness of the ecological impact of operating IT and networking
equipments.
 
The basic objective of energy management is operating communication
networks and other equipments with a minimal amount of energy while
still providing sufficient performance to meet service level
objective.  A discussion of detailed requirements has already started
in the OPSAWG, but further exploration in the ENERGY WG is needed.
 
So far, there are very little means defined in IETF documents
for energy management of devices and networks including power
monitoring, energy consumption monitoring, and power state control.
The OPSAWG started working on a MIB module for monitoring energy
consumption and power states and found that more than just a MIB
module is needed. Rather a new framework for energy management needs
to be developed first.
 
A particular difference between energy monitoring and other
monitoring tasks is that in many cases energy consumption of
a device is not measured at the device itself but at a different
place, such as, for example, at a Power over Ethernet sourcing
device or at a smart power strip. A device reporting energy
consumption may report not just its own consumption but do this also
for other remote devices. This require a clear definition of the
relationship between devices and identification of remote devices
for which monitoring information is provided. Similar considerations
apply to power state control of remote devices, for example, at
a power over Ethernet sourcing device that switches on and off
power at its ports.
 
The ENERGY WG will work on the following items:
 
1. Requirements for energy management.
A requirements document will specify for which power and energy-
related properties of devices and components monitoring functions
need to be provided. Also the need for control functions will be
discussed. It will further elaborate on the need to monitor and
control properties of devices that are remote to the monitoring
probe.
 
2. Energy management framework.
A framework document will describe extensions to current management
frameworks that are needed for energy management: power and energy
monitoring, including power states, power state control, and
potential power state transitions. Particularly, the relationships
between powering devices, powered devices, and monitoring probes
need to be elaborated. The way how to set power states will be
discussed. For the case of a device reporting for and controlling
other devices, the framework will address the issues of detection
and identification of remote devices.
 
3. Energy and Power Monitoring MIB module
The ENERGY WG will develop a MIB module for energy consumption
Monitoring. The MIB module will provide means for reporting
detailed properties of the actual energy consumption rate (power)
and of accumulated energy consumption according to the
³requirements for energy management². Further, it will provide
information on electrical power quality.

4. Power State MIB module
The ENERGY WG will develop a MIB module for power state monitoring.
The module will provide means for retrieving power states of a
component, properties of power states, current power state, and
power state transitions and power state statistics. Optionally,
the controlling of power states could be added.
 
5. Battery MIB module
The ENERGY WG will develop a MIB module for battery monitoring.
The MIB module will provide means for reporting detailed properties
Of the actual charge, age, and state of a battery and of battery
statistics. 
 
6. Applicability statementThe ENERGY WG will develop an
applicability statement, describing the variety of applications that
can use the energy framework and associated MIB modules. Potential
examples are building networks, home energy gateway, etc. Finally,
the document will also discuss limitations of the framework and
relations to other architectures and frameworks (such as smart grid).
 
Goals and Milestones
 
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on energy management requirements
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on energy management framework
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Power State MIB
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Energy MIB
Dec 2010  Publish Internet draft on Battery MIB
Apr 2011  Publish Internet draft on energy management applicability
Apr 2011  Submit Internet draft on energy management requirements
           for publication as Informational RFC
Aug 2011  Submit Internet draft on energy management framework
           for publication as Informational RFC
Aug 2011  Submit Internet draft on Power State MIB
           for publication as Standard Track RFC
Aug 2011  Submit Internet draft on Energy MIB
           for publication as Standard Track RFC
Aug 2011  Submit Internet draft on Battery MIB
           for publication as Standard Track RFC
Dec 2011  Submit Internet draft on energy management applicability
           for publication as Informational RFC