Subject: [OPSAWG] Update on draft-zhang-opsawg-capwap-cds (not stepping on IEEE toes).

From: Warren Kumari <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 8 Apr 2014 01:40:34 +0800

Hi there all,

The document draft-zhang-opsawg-capwap-cds was discussed in London,
and the authors requested WG adoption.

Dan (and others) noted that we work on the CAPWAP stuff with the IEEE,
and should make sure that our work is not in conflict with theirs.
We had some discussions with our ADs and sent a liaison type note over
to IEEE folk: https://datatracker.ietf.org/liaison/1312/

The IEEE responded (around 2 weeks ago, sorry for the delay in reporting):
"Subject: Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation for Data Frames in CAPWAP

Thank you for the opportunity to review the "Alternate Tunnel
Encapsulation for Data Frames in
CAPWAP'"http://www.ietf.org/id/draft-zhang-opsawg-capwap-cds-02.txt
document.

The Alternate Tunnel Encapsulation draft appears to address
implementation of the IEEE 802.11 Distribution System (DS).
Implementation of the DS is outside the scope of the IEEE 802.11 standard.
We will inform IEEE 802.11 members of this work, and welcome further
requests from the OPSAWG for information or clarification of the  IEEE
802.11 standard.

Thank you,

Bruce Kraemer (outgoing chair 802.11, March 2014)
Adrian P Stephens (incoming chair 802.11, March 2014)
Chair, IEEE 802.11"

We will be initiating a call for adoption soon.

W