Subject: [OPSAWG] RFC 7494 on IEEE 802.11 Medium Access Control (MAC) Profile for Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP)

From: [email-masked]
Date: Fri, 17 Apr 2015 13:38:44 -0700 (PDT)

A new Request for Comments is now available in online RFC libraries.

        RFC 7494

        Title:      IEEE 802.11 Medium Access Control 
                    (MAC) Profile for Control and Provisioning 
                    of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP) 
        Author:     C. Shao, H. Deng,
                    R. Pazhyannur, F. Bari,
                    R. Zhang, S. Matsushima
        Status:     Standards Track
        Stream:     IETF
        Date:       April 2015
        Mailbox:    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked], 
                    [email-masked],
                    [email-masked]
        Pages:      13
        Characters: 23378
        Updates/Obsoletes/SeeAlso:   None

        I-D Tag:    draft-ietf-opsawg-capwap-hybridmac-08.txt

        URL:        https://www.rfc-editor.org/info/rfc7494

The Control and Provisioning of Wireless Access Points (CAPWAP)
protocol binding for IEEE 802.11 defines two Medium Access Control
(MAC) modes for IEEE 802.11 Wireless Transmission Points (WTPs):
Split and Local MAC.  In the Split MAC mode, the partitioning of
encryption/decryption functions is not clearly defined.  In the Split
MAC mode description, IEEE 802.11 encryption is specified as located
in either the Access Controller (AC) or the WTP, with no clear way
for the AC to inform the WTP of where the encryption functionality
should be located.  This leads to interoperability issues, especially
when the AC and WTP come from different vendors.  To prevent
interoperability issues, this specification defines an IEEE 802.11
MAC Profile message element in which each profile specifies an
unambiguous division of encryption functionality between the WTP and
AC.

This document is a product of the Operations and Management Area Working Group Working Group of the IETF.

This is now a Proposed Standard.

STANDARDS TRACK: This document specifies an Internet Standards Track
protocol for the Internet community, and requests discussion and suggestions
for improvements.  Please refer to the current edition of the Official
Internet Protocol Standards (https://www.rfc-editor.org/standards) for the 
standardization state and status of this protocol.  Distribution of this 
memo is unlimited.

This announcement is sent to the IETF-Announce and rfc-dist lists.
To subscribe or unsubscribe, see
  https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ietf-announce
  https://mailman.rfc-editor.org/mailman/listinfo/rfc-dist

For searching the RFC series, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/search
For downloading RFCs, see https://www.rfc-editor.org/rfc.html

Requests for special distribution should be addressed to either the
author of the RFC in question, or to [email-masked].  Unless
specifically noted otherwise on the RFC itself, all RFCs are for
unlimited distribution.

The RFC Editor Team
Association Management Solutions, LLC