Subject: [OPSAWG] Eric Rescorla's Abstain on draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-22: (with COMMENT)

From: Eric Rescorla <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Feb 2018 06:53:29 -0800

Eric Rescorla has entered the following ballot position for
draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt-22: Abstain

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-mm-wg-effect-encrypt/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I appreciate all the work that the authors have put into this document, and I
think it makes a number of good points. However, at the end of the day, I don't
think publishing an IETF RFC devoted to listing all the problems that
encryption creates -- even with a bunch of disclaimers -- is consistent with
the direction the IETF is otherwise taking towards universal encryption.