Subject: [OPSAWG] draft-ietf-opsawg-mud and .well-known

From: Eliot Lear <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 5 Feb 2018 09:36:12 +0000

Everyone,

In discussions as part of the GENART review processes, Mark Nottingham
has further clarified his concerns about the use of .well-known.  He
would prefer that we abandon its use altogether.  He suggests instead
that we use the templating approach for parameters that are coming from
the MUD controller through the use of RFC 6570.  The value of using
templates to me is that MUD controllers can pass additional parameters
to the MUD file server based on their observations of the device.  This
might be due, for instance, to network endpoint assessments (NEA) or for
other reasons.  We might also be able to insert a MUD version for
versions > 1.  What is important is that the elements in the template be
standardized, and that it be possible for them to be ignored by the MUD
file server if it doesn't understand them.  That permits backward
compatibility.  This also provides the ability to shrink the MUD-URL.

For these reasons I think this is a good change.  I also hope it would
be the last change.

Are people comfortable with this change?

Eliot