Subject: [OPSAWG] Deborah Brungard's No Objection on draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-13: (with COMMENT)

From: Deborah Brungard via Datatracker <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 May 2019 09:33:33 -0700

Deborah Brungard has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs-13: No Objection

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-opsawg-tacacs/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
COMMENT:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

While the status is an Informational document, not PS, I still would
prefer if earlier in the document it provided the reader with deployment
concerns e.g. the introduction.

The current introduction states a "wide range" of clients and servers
are already deployed. Not until section 10 is the reader informed
"Multiple implementations of the protocol described in the original
TACACS+ Draft `The Draft' [TheDraft] have been deployed.  As the
protocol was never standardized, current implementations may be
incompatible in non-obvious ways". And section 10.5 on Best
Practices which has the new restriction that it not be deployed
with other traffic. This information is needed much
earlier in the document to give context for the reader.