Subject: Router removed from an area

From: Nohl Attila Rajmund <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 15:09:50 +0200

Hello!

I have a question about the removal of a router from an area. Let's say
I have the following topology:

+---+       if1 +---+
| 1 |-----------| 2 |
+---+ if1       +---+

Both of the routers are in the backbone area. When I remove the if1
interface of router2 from the backbone area, the adjacency between the two
routers broke down, but the Router LSA of router2 remains in the LSA
database of router1 for at most an hour. At least this happens on the
router where I tried this.

My questions are: is the situation above compliant to RFC 2328? I
think, it is not conflicting with the RFC. My other question is that is
it compliant to RFC 2328, if a router tries to be smart, and flushes its
Router LSA from the backbone after it got the command (i.e. from the
console), but before it configures its interface?

                                Bye,NAR

---

From: "Manral, Vishwas" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 6 Sep 2002 09:29:18 -0400

Hi NAR,

The router LSA of router2 remaining in router1 is correct behaviour. The LSA
will however not be considered in the SPF calculations.

Yes, if a router is shutting down it should flush its router LSA and this is
compliant with the behaviour of the RFC2328. However a router would
originate a router LSA after an interface goes down, I do not see much
advantage of originating a router LSA to take care of this special case,
though I guess it would work fine.

Hope this helps.

Thanks,
Vishwas

-----Original Message-----
From: Nohl Attila Rajmund [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, September 06, 2002 6:40 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: Router removed from an area

Hello!

+---+       if1 +---+
| 1 |-----------| 2 |
+---+ if1       +---+

                                Bye,NAR