Subject: Opaque LSA for OSPFv3

From: "Li, Ke Qin (Peter)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 09:51:50 +0800

Hi all,

Is there any RFC or Internet Draft about Opaque LSA for OSPFv3? In OSPFv3,
type 9 LSA is intra-area-prefix-LSA, so the opaque LSAs defined in RFC2370
can not be used with OSPFv3.

Thank you.

Keqin Li
Bell Labs Research China
Tel: 86-010-68748088-8438

---

From: Arthur Dimitrelis <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 Sep 2002 14:56:19 +1000

Hi,

this has come up quite recently. Yasuhiro and Vishwas have pointed out that
the handling of opaque LSAs is built in to OSPFv3 because it is possible to
specify how a particular unknown LSA is to be handled (see 2.9 of RFC2740). So
the ideas presented in RFC2370 for OSPFv2 are rolled into the OSPFv3
specification.

I was thrown off by the fact that 2370 uses the word 'opaque' whereas 2740
does not. My understanding is that a 2370 compliant router provides the same
functionality as a 2740 compliant router in terms of handling LSAs of unknown
type.

cheers,
Arthur