Subject: Re: [OSPF] Database Exchange Summary List Optimization

From: Richard Ogier <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 25 Oct 2006 18:47:13 -0700

As indicated in my message of 9/26/06, I submitted the following draft
update which removes Options B and C from the database exchange
summary list optimization.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ogier-ospf-dbex-opt-02.txt

Recall that Option A requires the summary list to be fully updated
(by processing all LSAs listed in the received DD packet) before
the next DD packet is sent in response.
Option A is no longer optional, but is part of the specification
in Section 2.  In addition, the draft clarifies that the new
step (which updates the summary list) may be performed either
before or after the router looks up the listed LSA in its database
and possibly adds the LSA to the Link state request list.
(See the last two paragraphs of Section 2.)
The point is that the summary list must be fully updated before
the next DD packet is sent, but other processing of a received
DD packet need not be done at the same time.
As a result, the spec no longer assumes that the router has
looked up the listed LSA in its database before deciding whether
to remove the LSA from the summary list.  Such details are
left to the implementation.

Richard

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf