Subject: [OSPF] use of O bit in Hello packets

From: "Enrico Dutti" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 15:08:54 +0200

Hi all,

I need a clarification regarding the use of the O bit in OSPF's hello
packets (rfcs 2328 + 2370).

Should (or must) an opaque capable router set the O bit to 1 in his Hello
packets?

Let's say I have an OSPF router that must use opaque objects in order work
correctly.
Is it correct/allowable if this router rejects a neighbour because it
doesn't set the O bit in the Hello packet it transmits?

thank you

Enrico Dutti

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf

---

From: Acee Lindem <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 10 Oct 2006 09:26:52 -0400

Hi Enrico,

> Should (or must) an opaque capable router set the O bit to 1 in his Hello
Unfortunately, RFC 2320 only describes usage of the O bit in database 
description packets.
Hence, this is left unspecified.
> doesn't set the O bit in the Hello packet it transmits?
No - this wouldn't be backward compatible since this isn't specified in 
RFC 2370.

Thanks,
Acee