Subject: RE":[OSPF] non-zero forwarding address

From: sinbad <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 18 Sep 2007 17:41:50 +0530

Forwarding address only makes sense when the network type is broadcast.

  A ---| BGP

        |----- X

  B ---|

        |

 C ----|

Consider the above network (took from RFC section 12.4.4.1).Suppose RTA is
importing routes, all the traffic for these routes

will go through RTA (Even for RTB and RTC).Clearly for RTB and RTC this will
add one extra hop. So RTA keeps the forwarding address as RTX address. 

So that RTB and RTC can directly foward the packets to RTX and saving one
extra hop. Clearly if it is a p2p link , there is no use of putting
forwarding address.

thanks

sinbad

  _____  

From: Jishnu Banerjee [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, September 18, 2007 4:25 PM
To: Acee Lindem
Cc: [email-masked]
Subject: [OSPF] non-zero forwarding address

I have a doubt regarding forwarding address in Type-5 LSAs. Should it be
non-zero when the connected network type is non-broadcast (eg p2p,p2mp or
even nbma) ? RFC does not specify when forwarding address field should be
populated. If I have overlooked the RFC then please do point it out.

Regards,

Jishnu

_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf