Subject: [OSPF] Need ROI comments for implementing a new reliability idea for protocols(viz OSPF)

From: "Abhay D.S" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 26 Sep 2007 18:10:45 +0800

Hi Group,

For cascaded inservice upgrades for routing protocols(like.. OSPF)
running in an ISP
In order to prevent any forwarding loss, I would perform a graceful restart.

However, since these mechanisms are planned but are not deterministic
as to always
minimize traffic loss.

Im working on a method to perform the planning of graceful restarts
better and automatic
prior to the actual restart signaling.

I want to know both from protocol implementors and operators the value
of ROI on this
kind of idea.

My ROI comments: Please feel free to add to it.

1) Give operator confidence in performing planned restarts by making him/her
   a controller of minimizing the forwarding loss.

2) ISP's able to predict and inform users or other transit users about
the unavailability
   or loss of connectivity (just like they do in the TV broadcasts
due to solar flares).

3) Auto configuration of a set of devices to be automatically helping
and giving a all is
   well signal before any planned restarts actually occur.

4) Make operators free of multiple tools which are not always effective.

5) Make this mechanism automated as a part of the protocol , MAYBE as
a different version
   or same version with backward compatibility.

Please give me an idea of ROI if any investment is made in the
development of such a framework for the protocol community and the
operator as a whole.

It will push me in the right direction.

Thanks and Regards,
Abhay Rao
_______________________________________________
OSPF mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/ospf