Subject: Re: [P2Prg] Bill to Discourage P2P in Government Advances

From: John Fiore <[email-masked]>
Date: 14 Oct 2003 17:48:26 -0400

I didn't read the entire bill but it sounds as though it's not a
knee-jerk reaction to anything.  If the bill's fact sheet is
representative of what the bill really does, the bill forces federal
agencies to consider the security risks of using P2P in their own
networks, which sounds pretty reasonable to me.

One would only hope that they would consider the security risks of using
any software on their networks, not just P2P.

>From the bill's fact sheet:

        H.R. 3159, the  Government Network Security Act of 2003, 
        requires that federal agencies address the security risks posed
        by P2P file sharing programs when developing their network
        policies and procedures. Agencies must ensure that federal
        computers and the important information they store remain
        secure, private, and protected, but agencies are given the
        flexibility to develop the most appropriate means of
        accomplishing this goal through a combination of technological
        means (such as firewalls) or nontechnological means (such as
        employee training). Under H.R. 3159, each agency will have six
        months in which to develop and implement a plan for protecting
        their computers from the security risks posed by P2P file
        sharing. Within the following year, GAO must review these plans
        and report back to Congress on their adequacy and effectiveness.
        The  Government Network Security Act  does not hinder the
        ability of federal agencies to pursue new advances in
        technology, including peer-to-peer technologies needed for
        government applications. It requires only that in pursuing these
        innovations, agencies not put at risk the security of government
        files.

John

> Good question! It seems to be the usual "knee-jerk" reaction to P2P 
> without understanding how useful it is.
> 
> In a sense, the fear that it inspires is directly proportional to its 
> power. Power to P2P!
> 
> See you on Monday!
>
> Bill
> 
> On Wednesday, October 8, 2003, at 04:57 PM, [email-masked] 
> wrote:
>
> > Does anyone know what the text of this bill looks like? Is it really 
> > specific to file sharing networks? Or does the bill restrict the use 
> > of "peer to peer" technologies without a focused definition. Jeffrey 
> > Altman
> >

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: Jeffrey Altman <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 14 Oct 2003 22:54:48 -0700

John:

Thank you.  Assuming the fact sheet is accurate this sounds very reasonable.

- Jeff