Subject: RE: [P2Prg] MANETs vs P2P

From: "HyunWook Cha" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 6 Dec 2003 10:31:39 +0900

Hi, Isabela.

Thanks for your reply. Your paper is a good reference for this issue and
I think that I can learn important lessons from you paper without
simulating by myself. :-)

My question is what characteristics(especially routing scheme) of your
P2P model affected over the performance. Routing protocols such as AODV,
DSR, DSDV are designed without considering any specific applications. In
general, they view all application data packets as just upper layer
packets and treat them in the same way. So I suggest that P2P itself
should be adapted for MANET or mobile nodes. Perhaps, some api(library)
with which routing protocols provides can be helful to adjust routing
strategy of P2P systems.

Regards, 

HyunWook Cha

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Isabela Guimaraes Siqueira [mailto:[email-masked]] 
> Sent: Saturday, December 06, 2003 2:36 AM
> To: [email-masked]
> Subject: Re: [P2Prg] MANETs vs P2P
> 
> 
> 
> 
>  Hi HyunWook Cha!
> 
>  I have already worked in this subject. I have published a 
> paper in WCNC 2003 called "Evaluation of Ad Hoc Routing 
> Protocols under a Peer-to-Peer Application". If you are 
> interested in reading, here is the link:
> 
 http://www.dcc.ufmg.br/~isabela/papers

 Unfortunately there is a long time I don't search for related work, but
I know many efforts in this subject have emerged. Haven't you find
anything through google?

 Hope I could help.

 Regards,
 Isabela Siqueira.

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: Isabela Guimaraes Siqueira <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 10:10:22 -0200 (BRDT)

> simulating by myself. :-)

 I am happy I could help you. :-)

> with which routing protocols provides can be helful to adjust routing

 I agree with you. We could improve a lot the performance of a MANET
running a P2P application if we use a routing protocol which takes
the application characteristics into consideration. And we could
also do the opposite, providing a better P2P application routing scheme
taking the MANET into consideration.

 When we were working in the paper this need became very clear to us.

 Regards,
 Isabela.

---

From: "HyunWook Cha" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:22:43 +0900

Hello, Isabela.

> Sent: Tuesday, December 09, 2003 9:10 PM
> To: HyunWook Cha
> Cc: autonet; [email-masked]
> Subject: RE: [P2Prg] MANETs vs P2P
> 
> 
> 
> 
> > Thanks for your reply. Your paper is a good reference for 
> this issue 
> > and I think that I can learn important lessons from you 
> paper without 
> > P2P model affected over the performance. Routing protocols such as 
> > AODV, DSR, DSDV are designed without considering any specific 
> > applications. In general, they view all application data packets as 
> > just upper layer packets and treat them in the same way. So 
> I suggest 
> > that P2P itself should be adapted for MANET or mobile 
> nodes. Perhaps, 
> > some api(library) with which routing protocols provides can 
> be helful 
> > to adjust routing strategy of P2P systems.
> 
>  I agree with you. We could improve a lot the performance of 
> a MANET running a P2P application if we use a routing 
> protocol which takes the application characteristics into 
> consideration. And we could also do the opposite, providing a 
> better P2P application routing scheme taking the MANET into 
> consideration.
> 

I agree. At this stage, I have no clear idea since I am not familiar
with existing routing algorithms for P2P systems. I just know that there
are so many papers in this issue. If you have any advices or comments, I
welcome. 

Uhm... I begin to study overlay multicast because overlay multicast
routing algorithms are being developed for P2P systems by many
researchers in the P2P area. I am not sure that overlay multicast infra
means overlay multicasting at network layer. If so, development of good
overlay multicasting is enough. However, if not, P2P systems should be
adapted to MANET environment thereby interacting MANET routing
protocols. Also,existing MANET routing protocols can be extended in
incremental manner although MANET working group does not accept this or
not care about this issue. I believe that P2P applications are most
attractive applications under MANETs. So, research in this issue are
also valuable.

I hope that we can keep sharing good ideas and research issues in this
area. Thanks.

HyunWook Cha

---

From: Oliver Waldhorst <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 10 Dec 2003 09:21:30 +0100

Hi,

> taking the MANET into consideration.

We have done some work in combining MANET and application layer routing. Some 
results can be found on our project page:

http://rul-www.cs.uni-dortmund.de/MobileP2P

Regards,
Oliver
-- 
------------------------------------------------------------------------
Oliver Waldhorst, M.S.
University of Dortmund
Department of Computer Science
Computer Systems and Performance Evaluation    Phone: +49 (231) 755-4797
August-Schmidt-Str. 12                         Fax:   +49 (231) 755-2417
44227 Dortmund, Germany                 E-mail:[email-masked]
WWW: http://www4.cs.uni-dortmund.de/~Waldhorst/
------------------------------------------------------------------------