Subject: [P2Prg] [Fwd: [JXTA user] Announcing JXTA J2SE 2.2.1 "Churrasco" Release]

From: Bernard Traversat <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Mar 2004 09:03:25 -0800

FYI,

For people interested,  JXTA 2.2.1 was just released.

Cheers,

B.

-- 
"As Java implies platform independence, and XML implies language
independence,  JXTA implies network independence."

-------- Original Message --------
Subject: 	[JXTA user] Announcing JXTA J2SE 2.2.1 "Churrasco" Release
Date: 	Mon, 15 Mar 2004 17:52:01 -0800
From: 	Mike [bondolo] Duigou <[email-masked]>
Reply-To: 	[email-masked]
To: 	[email-masked], [email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked], [email-masked], [email-masked]
Followup-To: 	[email-masked]

Community Members,

We are pleased to announce the availability of a new JXTA J2SE release, 
2.2.1 "Churrasco". The 2.2.1 release is a maintenance release that 
enhances the previous 2.2 release with some important bug and 
performance fixes and adds a small number of new features.

http://download.jxta.org/stablebuilds/index.html

This release is designed to be API and protocol backwards compatible 
with other JXTA J2SE 2.x releases.

The JXTA J2SE Release Team

Acknowledgements
====================================================================

Special thanks to all community members who contributed ideas, reported 
problems, provided patches, and have helped us greatly to improve the 
quality, and robustness of this release.

New Features
====================================================================

- JxtaMulticastSocket
- Enhanced JXTA Class Loader
- PeerGroupFactory.setConfigurator
- Disabling PSE Auto-login

JxtaMulticastSocket
-------------------
The JxtaMulticastSocket class is useful for sending and receiving JXTA 
multicast packets. A JxtaMulticastSocket is a (UDP) DatagramSocket, with 
additional capabilities for joining "groups" of other multicast hosts on 
the internet. A multicast group is specified within the context of 
PeerGroup and a propagate pipe advertisement.

When data is sent a message to a multicast group, all subscribing 
recipients to that peergroup and pipe receive the message (including 
themselves). When a socket subscribes to a multicast group/port, it 
receives datagrams sent by other hosts to the group/pipe, as do all 
other members of the group and pipe. A socket relinquishes membership in 
a group by the close() method. Multiple MulticastSocket's may subscribe 
to a multicast group and pipe concurrently, and they will all receive 
group datagrams. For more information and examples see: 
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Jxta/JxtaMulticastSocket

Enhanced JXTA Class Loader
--------------------------
The JXTA Class Loader has been extended to now extend URLClassLoader 
which provides additional class loading options and better integration 
with Java 2 Security features. You can also now load classes by 
ModuleSpecID.

PeerGroupFactory.setConfigurator
--------------------------------
Frequently JXTA application developers wish to completely disable the 
AWT based UI configuratior that JXTA will present at boot time. You can 
now provide your own Configurator or disable the builtin Configurator. 
For more information and instructions see: 
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Jxta/NullConfigurator

Disabling PSE Auto-login
------------------------
The default behaviour of the JXTA J2SE platform since the introduction 
of the TLS Message Transport has been to ask the user for authentication 
information upon starting JXTA. In JXTA J2SE 2.2.1 it is now possible to 
disable the automatic request for authentication that occurs at JXTA 
boot using a newly defined java system property. This places 
authentication entirely under the control of the application developer. 
For more information and instructions see: 
http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Jxta/NoAutoLogin

Downloading and Installing
====================================================================

Prebuilt JXTA J2SE 2.2.1 builds can be installed from :

  <http://download.jxta.org/stablebuilds/index.html>

You can also build from cvs :

  cvs -d:pserver:[email-masked]:/cvs co -r JXTA_2_2_1_00 \
          platform shell security cms myjxta2

Each module has an Apache Ant build.xml file located in the 
'binding/java/' directory. You can build each module with the following 
commands:

  cd security/binding/java
  ant dist

These commands should be repeated for each module. Some of the modules 
depend upon other modules being built first. Build the modules in the 
following order: security, platform, shell, cms, myjxta2.

Known incompatibilities between JXTA 2.2.1 and prior JXTA 2.x releases
====================================================================

A number of deprecated APIs have been removed in this release. See the 
"Impacts to Developers" section below for details.

Impacts to Current Users : LOW
====================================================================

- JXTA J2SE 2.2.1 should a drop in replacement for any application 
currently using JXTA J2SE 2.2

Impacts to Developers : MEDIUM
====================================================================

- The following deprecated APIs were removed in JXTA 2.2.1:

  o Legacy accessor methods in Message
  o Legacy accessor methods in MessageElement
  o MessageElementEnumeration
  o StringEnumeration

- Pay careful attention to the deprecation messages generated when 
compiling your application. JXTA J2SE 2.2.1 introduces several new 
deprecations. The next planned release (Jambalaya) will remove some 
interfaces which have been deprecated since JXTA J2SE 2.0 :

  o EndpointFilterListener -> MessageFilterListener
  o EndpointMessenger -> Messenger
  o JxtaTimer
  o net.jxta.JxtaUtilities
  o Endpoint.newMessage -> new Message()
  o Endpoint.newEndpointAddress -> new EndpointAddress()
  o PipeService.createMessage -> new Message()

- Be very careful to avoid importing any "impl" packages 
(net.jxta.impl.*). The classes and methods in these packages may (and 
will) change from release to release and no effort will be made to 
retain compatibility of programs which depend upon "impl" packages. YOU 
HAVE BEEN WARNED! If there is no alternative available to importing from 
"impl", please file an issue against the platform so that an alternate 
mechanism can be developed.

Impacts to Deployers / Rendezvous Managers : LOW
====================================================================

- This release includes improve performance and stability for the 
rendezvous and relay peers. JXTA J2SE 2.2.1 should be a drop in 
replacement for JXTA J2SE 2.2 releases.

- Before restarting rendezvous/relays you should clear your cm 
directory. (It can also be argued that rdv/relays may benefit from doing 
this with every restart).

Issued Closed During JXTA 2.2.1
====================================================================
793  DEFECT  P3  Edge takes ~ 4min to resolve relay and an addtnl ~2min
836  DEFECT  P2  hanging http client threads
884  DEFECT  P3  Observed sluggish Relay failover
904  ENHANC  P2  Slow to connect to RDV in a sub-group
923  ENHANC  P2  Extensions to JxtaClassLoader
931  PATCH   P2  Remove deprecated Message APIs
932  PATCH   P3  Remove legacy JDK 1.3.X IPUtils Code
944  ENHANC  P2  Implement expiration checking for PSE Credential
952  DEFECT  P3  Relay Service Threads not marked daemon
962  PATCH   P3  Remove obsolete impl.utils
966  DEFECT  P3  API javadoc is incomplete
969  PATCH   P2  Update Bouncy Castle provider to 1.21
974  PATCH   P3  Discovery Service diagnostic improvements
979  ENHANC  P3  Endpoint Service Diagnostic Improvements
980  ENHANC  P3  Advertisement Tidying
981  DEFECT  P2  Router does not pass hint during initial connection
993  ENHANC  P2  Explicit svc dependence in startApp() for PipeService
1000 DEFECT  P2  Need to improve reliability library throughput
1001 DEFECT  P2  HttpClientMessenger can hang on exit
1005 DEFECT  P2  default PC location should be ~/.jxta/PlatformConfig
1006 DEFECT  P5  Enabled field, but checkbox not selected.
1008 DEFECT  P2  ext:config port availability scan
1011 DEFECT  P3  No mechanism to disable automatic PSE Login request
1015 DEFECT  P2  port scan incomplete
1016 DEFECT  P2  DOMXMLElement.getAttributes does not work
1018 DEFECT  P2  ext:config uri path on win/* in util pkg
1021 DEFECT  P3  Adaptive Flow Control does not count acks properly
1022 ENHANC  P2  Completes PeerGroupFactory.setConfigurator support
1023 ENHANC  P3  ext:config support for "incomplete" PlatformConfig
1024 DEFECT  P3  Hierarchical groupID incomplete
1025 DEFECT  P3  PeerInfoServiceaddRemoteMonitorListener problems
1033 DEFECT  P1  Memory leak in http
1044 DEFECT  P1  ModuleManager.createServiceAdvertisement() problem

Known issues in JXTA 2.2.1
====================================================================
(none)

For a complete list of known issues follow the link:

<http://platform.jxta.org/issues/buglist.cgi?issue_status=NEW&issue_status=STARTED&issue_status=REOPENED&target_milestone=J2SE+2.2.1+Churrasco>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: [email-masked]
For additional commands, e-mail: [email-masked]

-- 
"As Java implies platform independence, and XML implies language
 independence, then JXTA implies network independence."

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg