Subject: [P2Prg] DRM, QoS, Content Distribution is primary?

From: Haim Rochberger <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 18:36:48 +0300

Hi Cefn,

Here is my point:

Talk a bit about the basics:

Building any standard is based on the assumption that multiple points
(devices, SW applications etc), "manufactured" by multiple "vendors"
(can be a guy in his basement or a big corporation), and all these
entities - if comply with the standard, will work together (hopefully if
you built a concrete standard and implementation).

Therefore, when I thought about P2P and standard in the context of the
(il)legal file sharing, I thought that these two don't mix (allow
everyone to understand his control... etc).

So that is why I think that for the target of having a P2P standard
(any) that will eventually be created by the IETF, the IRTF should
concentrate in a research about targets that will need standards.

That does not say to start everything from scratch, but leverage the
things known from the legacy P2P technology and refine it to the
requirements of applications that do wish for standards (wrote this word
too many times.. sorry).

So to your point:

   "...Although I think you're right that in the minds of many
influential commercial decision makers, P2P is primarily    about
(il)legal content distribution, I think it would be a shame to divert
technical attention from the underlying requirements of P2P more
generally."
 
My reply is that to my humble understanding.. this "more general p2p"
are not waiting for standards and not plan to use them.
 
On the other hand legal p2p had high expectations and strong
requirements, and DO wish to have a standard.  

yours,

Haim 

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg

---

From: "Roy, Radhika R." <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 27 Sep 2006 12:24:11 -0400

Hi, Haim:

Let me try to articulate some answers in the context of P2P if not pure
P2P standards per se.

If you say that P2P file sharing for example is not waiting for any
standards, it may not too clear to everyone because of the following:

1.       What do we mean by p2p arch?

2.       How do the p2p nodes of the network operate?

3.       What have been the responsibilities for p2p routing scheme? Is
in the p2p application layer only?

4.       What happens if the p2p nodes are mobile and not fixed
infrastructure?

5.       Are p2p entities concerned about QOS? If so, can anyone provide
guarantee?

6.       How do we resolve the destination address for routing in p2p
networking? Does it have any impact on the lower layer IP routing? Can
static BGP protocol be used in the fixed infrastructure p2p networking?

7.       Can p2p applications like real-time communications and
conferencing where multiple endpoints are involved in communications in
real-time be done unlike that of the application retrieval service -
file sharing?

8.       Many other important items that p2p network may need to
address.

What has been the prime driver of my earlier email is to provide some
guideline what IETF can do for fostering/creating of standards in the
area of p2p networking because this is where the Internet is up to. It
is not that P2Prg WG has to create standards. 

Let there be their constant guidance from their own research along the
line of the above. To star with p2p-SIP WG may be one of them which is
waiting to get their guidance. MANET WG may be guided how p2p
applications can be used to have the proper QOS using p2p-MANET routing
scheme.

Will the future p2p-node need to have functionalities of SIP UA, Proxy,
and application functions in each mobile node to have p2p networking?
That is, is the distribution of SIP server functionalities to the edge
only solution for the pure p2p application for example?

Think about a situation that the Internet might have billions of routers
across the whole world in the near future. Even inter-planet Internet
will also established by NASA. All airplanes will have their own mobile
routers and internal routers inside each airplane. They will be
communication among themselves constantly in all continents on the fly
(known as MANET-in-the-fly). 

Are all these extreme phenomena pointing to the one eternal fact:
Peer-to-Peer Networking?

Let us discuss on these topics.

Best regards,

Radhika

________________________________

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of Haim Rochberger
Sent: Wednesday, September 27, 2006 11:37 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [P2Prg] DRM, QoS, Content Distribution is primary?

Hi Cefn,

Here is my point:

So to your point:

 

yours,

Haim