Subject: [P2Prg] New P2P Application Software and its Issues

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 05 Sep 2006 12:04:56 -0700

Hello Everyone.  I am a new subscriber.

I recently launched a version 1.0 software called Maazios.  It is a suite of consumer P2P software applications (it deals with new application domains using a p2p approach).  It is like an application "browser" combined with an application web server.  It allows home users to have for free  - classified ads, auctions, storefront, yellow page ads, message boards, chat room, pseudo DNS, pseudo email, a publish/subscribe app, and a user feedback history tracking.  But the key problem I have seen many new users encounter is firewall server port allow and port forwarding setup on their cable/dsl router; I designed Maazios to require the user's computer to be able to accept incoming connections from the internet.  I did this because I do not believe supernodes/superpeers is right to utilize for a true P2P system.  I believe direct connection between two peers is more efficient and fair to all peers in the network.  Many peers have an abundance of free disk space but limited broadband capacity.

Here is a preliminary range of issues brought up by new users and onlookers:
	Security and hacker attacks (denial of service/flooding) because of opened server port requirement.
	Data integrity of the application items (since it is stored on the user's machine along with the index of other user's app items in encrypted databases)
	Transaction integrity/security/user feedback/payment process for storefront orders or completed auctions
	Junk application items created
	Search performance
	plus many other ones not brought up yet

I think the above issues raised will also be encountered by many future P2P systems as they move into new application domains.

If you have a Windows 2000/XP/2003 computer available and can set up the firewall/portforwarding, you can install and try my software (www.maazios.com).  Currently, I only have six test machines setup with ~100 test application items.  Without the server port, then you will only be able to view or interact with the test application items; any items you create will not be viewable/touched by others.

Please let me know ([email-masked]) if you have problems with the install or other questions.

Sincerely,
Tai Yu aka Professor M
Founder, Maazios Corporation

Below are screenshots of Maazios (it is a "complete" software package).
The following pics show what you see of your own "stuff":

Your own start page; many items created and things filled in elsewhere.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Main_Start.JPG
	A preferences form for you to fill in so start page looks nicer and location info can be used by other apps.
	http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Main_Preferences.JPG
	History of app items and domains you've been to.
	http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Main_History.JPG

Connect by IP Address UI - used if you know your friend/family's external IP. Note it shows your external IP address on top.
	Successful connect will show other party's domain name and description.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Connect_by_IP.JPG

The Pseudo Email "outlook" like UI.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Memail_inbox.JPG
	System reminders show useful tidbits you should be aware of about your computer and application items.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Memail_sys_reminders.JPG

>From the Search UI
	A simple search for "bracelet"
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Search_regular.JPG
	Sample of other people's "stuff"; doubleclick to see it (other person's Maazios must be on and connectable).
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Whats_New.JPG
	What other Maazios users are searching for.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Search_what_others_are_searching.JPG
	Your favorites list - domains shown; favorite app items also possible.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Favorites_domains.JPG

>From the Auction Management UI
	One of your created auctions that is active now.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Auctions.JPG
	Save time by filling in this preferences since will be used by all your own auctions.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Auction_Preferences.JPG
	Your auction watch - watching other Maazios users' auctions.

http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_AuctionWatch_My_Auction_Watch_tab.JPG
	Your bid/buy requests to other Maazios users' auctions and the request's status (it may fail - ex. network problem).
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_AuctionWatch_My_Requests_tab.JPG
	Your winning bids of other Maazios users' auctions and its related info.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_AuctionWatch_My_Winning_Bids_tab.JPG

Your own Feedback History UI
	What other Maazios users said about you - only your auctions and storefront for now.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Feedback_History.JPG

Your own Chat Rooms UI
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Chat_Rooms.JPG

Your own Classified Ads UI
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Classified_Ads.JPG

Your own Message Boards UI
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Message_Boards.JPG

Your own Publish/Subscribe UI
	http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Publications.JPG
	http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_Subscriptions.JPG

Your own Yellow Page Ads UI
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_My_YellowPage.jpg

Your own Storefront Management UI
	Example of one of your item for sale.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Storefront_My_Storefront.JPG
	Fill in preferences since used for your storefront and its items.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Storefront_Preferences.JPG
	Your orders from other Maazios users' storefront.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Storefront_My_Orders.jpg
	Your customers' orders - New ones, Canceled by you, and Shipped by you
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_new_orders.JPG
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_cancelled_orders.JPG
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_Storefront_My_Customers_Orders_shipped.JPG

The following is when you go to some other Maazios user's "site" or application item:
	You are looking at someone's domain page (notice what's available).
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_domain_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You are looking at someone's auction (useful pic on bottom).
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_auction_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You are in someone's chat room.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_chat_with_JD.JPG
	A list of someone's application items - chat rooms in this case.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_chatroom_list_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You are looking at someone's Classified ad.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_clasAd_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You are looking at someone's Feedback history.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_feedback_history_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You are in someone's message board.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_mb_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You are in someone's storefront.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_storefront_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You checking out an order in someone's storefront.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_storefront_shopcart_seen_by_JD.JPG
	You are in someone's Auction domain - which list all auctions of this Maazios user.
http://www.maazios.com/scsh/KG_seen_by_JD/KG_auction_domain_seen_by_JD.JPG

Now you realize why the firewall/portforward setup correctly is needed - so that other Maazios users can see and do things to your "stuff" and vice versa.

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg