Subject: [P2Prg] CFP AP2PC'07 Honolulu, Hawaii, USA

From: Sam Joseph <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 14 Dec 2006 18:19:20 +0900

CALL FOR PAPERS

Sixth International Workshop on Agents and Peer-to-Peer Computing (AP2PC
2007)
http://p2p.ingce.unibo.it/
held in AAMAS 2007
International Conference on Autonomous Agents and MultiAgent Systems
Honolulu, Hawaii, USA.
from 14 May - 18 May 2007.

CALL FOR PAPERS
Peer-to-peer (P2P) computing has attracted enormous media attention,
initially spurred by the popularity of file sharing systems such as
Napster, Gnutella, and Morpheus. More recently systems like BitTorrent
and eDonkey have continued to sustain that attention. New techniques
such as distributed hash-tables (DHTs), semantic routing, and Plaxton
Meshes are being combined with traditional concepts such as Hypercubes,
Trust Metrics and caching techniques to pool together the untapped
computing power at the "edges" of the internet. These new techniques and
possibilities have generated a lot of interest in many industrial
organizations, and has resulted in the creation of a P2P working group
on standardization in this area. (http://www.irtf.org/charters/p2prg.html).

In P2P computing peers and services forego central coordination and
dynamically organise themselves to support knowledge sharing and
collaboration, in both cooperative and non-cooperative environments. The
success of P2P systems strongly depends on a number of factors. First,
the ability to ensure equitable distribution of content and services.
Economic and business models which rely on incentive mechanisms to
supply contributions to the system are being developed, along with
methods for controlling the "free riding" issue. Second, the ability to
enforce provision of trusted services. Reputation based P2P trust
management models are becoming a focus of the research community as a
viable solution. The trust models must balance both constraints imposed
by the environment (e.g. scalability) and the unique properties of trust
as a social and psychological phenomenon. Recently, we are also
witnessing a move of the P2P paradigm to embrace mobile computing in an
attempt to achieve even higher ubiquitousness. The possibility of
services related to physical location and the relation with agents in
physical proximity could introduce new opportunities and also new
technical challenges.

Although researchers working on distributed computing, MultiAgent
Systems, databases and networks have been using similar concepts for a
long time, it is only fairly recently that papers motivated by the
current P2P paradigm have started appearing in high quality conferences
and workshops. Research in agent systems in particular appears to be
most relevant because, since their inception, MultiAgent Systems have
always been thought of as collections of peers.

The MultiAgent paradigm can thus be superimposed on the P2P
architecture, where agents embody the description of the task
environments, the decision-support capabilities, the collective
behavior, and the interaction protocols of each peer. The emphasis in
this context on decentralization, user autonomy, dynamic growth and
other advantages of P2P, also leads to significant potential problems.
Most prominent among these problems are coordination: the ability of an
agent to make decisions on its own actions in the context of activities
of other agents, and scalability: the value of the P2P systems lies in
how well they scale along several dimensions, including complexity,
heterogeneity of peers, robustness, traffic redistribution, and so
forth. It is important to scale up coordination strategies along
multiple dimensions to enhance their tractability and viability, and
thereby to widen potential application domains. These two problems are
common to many large-scale applications. Without coordination, agents
may be wasting their efforts, squander resources and fail to achieve
their objectives in situations requiring collective effort.

This workshop will bring together researchers working on agent systems
and P2P computing with the intention of strengthening this connection.
Researchers from other related areas such as distributed systems,
networks and database systems will also be welcome (and, in our opinion,
have a lot to contribute). We seek high-quality and original
contributions on the general theme of "Agents and P2P Computing". The
following is a non-exhaustive list of topics of special interest:

- Intelligent agent techniques for P2P computing
- P2P computing techniques for MultiAgent Systems
- The Semantic Web, Semantic Coordination Mechanisms and P2P systems
- Scalability, coordination, robustness and adaptability in P2P systems
- Self-organization and emergent behavior in P2P networks
- E-commerce and P2P computing
- Participation and Contract Incentive Mechanisms in P2P Systems
- Computational Models of Trust and Reputation
- Community of interest building and regulation, and behavioral norms
- Intellectual property rights in P2P systems
- P2P architectures
- Scalable Data Structures for P2P systems
- Services in P2P systems (service definition languages, service
discovery, filtering and composition etc.)
- Knowledge Discovery and P2P Data Mining Agents
- P2P oriented information systems
- Information ecosystems and P2P systems
- Security issues in P2P networks
- Mobile P2P
- Pervasive computing based on P2P architectures (ad-hoc
networks,wireless communication devices and mobile systems)
- Grid computing solutions based on agents and P2P paradigms
- Legal issues in P2P networks

PANEL
The theme of the panel will be "Wireless P2P Networks and Agents in the
Mobile Information Society". Recently, the P2P paradigm is embracing
mobile computing and ad-hoc networks in an attempt to achieve even
higher ubiquitousness. The possibility of data and services related to
physical location and the relation with Agents and sensors in physical
proximity could introduce new opportunities and also new technical
challenges. Such dynamic environments, which are inherently
characterized by high mobility and heterogeneity of resources like
devices, participants, services, information and data representation,
pose several issues on how to search and localize resources, how to
efficiently route traffic, up to higher level problems related to
semantic interoperability and information relevance. The panel will
involve short presentations by the panelists followed by a discussion
session involving the audience.

IMPORTANT DATES
Abstract submission: 5th January 2007
Paper submission: 5th February 2007
Acceptance notification: 5th March 2007
Camera-ready submission: 19th March 2007
Workshop: 14-15th May 2007
Camera ready for post-proceedings: 20th July 2007

REGISTRATION
Accomodation and workshop registration will be handled by the AAMAS 2007
organization along with the main conference registration.

SUBMISSION INSTRUCTIONS
Previously unpublished papers should be formatted according to the
LNCS/LNAI author instructions for proceedings and they should not be
longer than 12 pages (about 5000 words including figures, tables,
references, etc.).

Please submit your papers through the Microsoft conference management
system: https://msrcmt.research.microsoft.com/AP2PC07/CallForPapers.aspx

Particular preference will be given to those papers that build upon the
contributions of papers presented at previous AP2PC workshops. In
addition, please carefully consider the issues that our reviewers will
be considering. Some of the issues our reviewers will be considering can
be seen in this form:

http://www.neurogrid.net/ap2pc2007/review-form.html

At the very least we would encourage all authors to read the abstracts
of the papers submitted to previous workshops - available from the links
below:

http://p2p.ingce.unibo.it/2002/
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,5-40109-22-2991818-0,00.html
http://p2p.ingce.unibo.it/2003/
http://www.springeronline.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,5-40109-22-37060961-0,00.html
http://p2p.ingce.unibo.it/2004/
http://www.springer.com/sgw/cda/frontpage/0,11855,5-147-22-90285401-0,00.html

http://p2p.ingce.unibo.it/2005/

Particular preference will be given to both novel approaches and those
papers that build upon the contributions of papers presented at previous
AP2PC workshops.

PUBLICATION
Accepted papers will be distributed to the workshop participants as
workshop notes. As in previous years post-proceedings of the revised
papers (namely accepted papers presented at the workshop) will be
submitted for publication to Springer in Lecture Notes in Computer
Science series.

ORGANIZING COMMITTEE
Program Co-chairs

Sonia Bergamaschi,
Dept. of Science Engineering,
University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia,
via Vignolese, 905 - 41100 Modena Italy
Tel. +39 059 2056132 - Fax +39 059 2056126
E-mail: [email-masked]

Zoran Despotovic
Future Networking Lab,
DoCoMo Communications Laboratories Europe,
Landsberger Str. 312
80687 Munich, Germany
E-mail: [email-masked]

Sam Joseph
Dept. of Information and Computer Science,
University of Hawaii at Manoa, USA
1680 East-West Road, POST 309, Honolulu, HI 96822
E-mail: [email-masked]

Gianluca Moro
Dept. of Electronics, Computer Science and Systems (DEIS)
University of Bologna
Via Venezia, 52
I-47023 Cesena (FC), Italy
Tel. +39 0547 339237, Fax +39 0547 339208
Email: [email-masked]

PROGRAM COMMITTEE
Karl Aberer, EPFL, Lausanne, Switzerland
Alessandro Agostini, ITC-IRST, Trento, Italy
Makoto Amamiya, Kyushu University, Japan
Djamal Benslimane, Universite Claude Bernard, France
Sonia Bergamaschi, University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia, Italy
M. Brian Blake, Georgetown University, USA
Costas Courcoubetis, Athens University of Economics and Business, Greece
Alfredo Cuzzocrea, University of Calabria, Italy
Vasilios Darlagiannis, Technical University of Darmstadt, Germany
Zoran Despotovic, DoCoMo Communications Laboratory, Germany
Maria Gini, University of Minnesota, USA
Francesco Guerra, University of Modena and Reggio Emilia, Italy
Chihab Hanachi, University of Toulouse, France
Sam Joseph, University of Hawaii, USA
Frank Kamperman, Philips Research, The Netherlands
Tan Kian Lee, National University of Singapore, Singapore
Birgitta Ko"nig-Ries, University of Karlsruhe, Germany
Zakaria Maamar, Zayed University, UAE
Alberto Montresor, University of Bologna, Italy
Gianluca Moro, University of Bologna, Italy
Jean-Henry Morin, Korea University, South Korea
Elth Ogston, Vrije Universiteit Amsterdam, The Netherlands
Andrea Omicini, University of Bologna, Italy
Thanasis Papaioannou, Athens University of Economics & Business, Greece
Paolo Petta, Austrian Research Institute for AI, Austria,
Dimitris Plexousakis, Institute of Computer Science, FORTH, Greece
Martin Purvis, University of Otago, New Zealand
Omer F. Rana, Cardiff University, UK
Douglas S. Reeves, North Carolina State University, USA
Thomas Risse, Fraunhofer IPSI, Darmstadt, Germany
Claudio Sartori, University of Bologna, Italy
Heng Tao Shen, University of Queensland, Australia
Francisco Valverde-Albacete, Universidad Carlos III de Madrid, Spain
Maurizio Vincini, University of Modena and Reggio-Emilia, Italy
Fang Wang, British Telecom Group, UK
Steven Willmott, Universitat Politecnica de Catalunya, Spain
Bin Yu, North Carolina State University, USA

_______________________________________________
P2prg mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2prg