Subject: [p2prg] CFP: 3rd Workshop on Economic Traffic Management (ETM)

From: Zoran Despotovic <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 19 Jan 2010 15:05:36 +0100

CALL FOR PAPERS

3rd Workshop on Economic Traffic Management (ETM)
Co-located with 22nd International Teletraffic Congress (ITC 22)
http://www.csg.uzh.ch/events/etm
September 6, 2010, Amsterdam, The Netherlands

OVERVIEW

Economic perspectives in network management have recently attracted a 
high level of attention. The 3rd Workshop on "Economic Traffic 
Management (ETM)" is the continuation of two successful events that were 
held at the University of Zurich in years 2008 and 2009. The main 
objective of the 3rd workshop on ETM (supported by the FP7 STREP 
SmoothIT) is to give scientists, researchers, and operators the 
opportunity to present innovative research on ETM, to discuss new 
related ideas and directions, as well as to strengthen cooperation in 
this field of economics-technology interplay. Being co-located with 
ITC22, the 3rd Workshop on ETM will bring together a new and 
fast-growing scientific community.

SCOPE

A multitude of different players are simultaneously active in the 
Internet. While they complement each other in order for services to be 
offered to users, each of them has his own incentives and interests. To 
enable a Win-Win situation for all the involved players, (basically, the 
end users, the ISPs and telecommunication operators, and the service 
providers), a new, incentive-based concept is recently employed, which 
is referred to as Economic Traffic Management (ETM). ETM aims at 
improving efficiency within the network (e.g. by reducing costs), while 
also improving the Quality-of-Experience (QoE) for end users of 
applications. In view of the dramatic increase of overlay traffic, 
driven among others by Peer-to-Peer (P2P) applications, more traditional 
optimization approaches (e.g. route optimizations or traffic management) 
now tend to be superseded by ETM solutions. Such solutions take into 
account the interactions among the various players and employ mechanisms 
that tend to lead the system to a viable equilibrium, where each of the 
players still pursues his own interests and no further coordination has 
to be assumed.

In fact ETM is particularly suitable to cases involving millions of 
individual users injecting traffic into the networks of multiple 
interacting network service providers, possibly acting on different 
tiers and pursuing different incentives. Due to the decentralization of 
these players and to the commercialization of service offerings, a 
scalable and economically-driven approach offers a wider range of 
interesting alternatives for optimization, traffic management, network 
management, and respective legal views in general. Finally, besides 
these advantages, ETM also serves the increasing importance of 
Socio-economic studies in the Future Internet, since its ultimate goal 
is the improvement of QoE for end users, yet in a sustainable way.

TOPICS

Authors are encouraged to submit innovative research on a broad set of 
topics, which are focused on but not limited to:

· Economic Traffic Management including traffic management and its 
related economics, supporting models, mechanisms, technologies and their 
evaluation

· ETM application scenarios, such as that of Peer-to-Peer applications, 
overlay networks, or virtual networks

· Incentive Schemes and Mechanisms for Network Services

· Application-layer traffic optimization

· Accounting and Charging Mechanisms

· Protocols as Economic Support Functionalities

· Economically-driven Network Architectures

· Pricing Models for Commercial Services

· Future network and services business models

· Economic QoS and QoE Management

· Economic Security Management

· Energy-efficient Network Management

· Economics of Self-organized and Peer-to-Peer Networks

· Economics of Virtual and Overlay Networks

· Economic Network Management for Cloud Computing

· Economics of Network Applications and Services

· Economically Efficient Bandwidth Allocation

· Future Internet Socio-Economic Aspects

· Prediction Methods for QoS, QoE, and user behavior

· Applied Methods for the Evaluation of Economic Effects, such as Game Theory

· Service Level Agreement Management

· Legal and Regulative Aspects of Commercial Service Offerings

ORGANIZATION

Burkhard Stiller (General Chair), University of Zurich, Switzerland
George D. Stamoulis (TPC Co-chair), Athens University of Economics and 
Business, Greece
Tobias Hossfeld (TPC Co-chair), University of Wuerzburg, Germany
Zoran Despotovic (Publicity Chair), DOCOMO Europe, Munich, Germany
Piotr Cholda (Publications Chair), AGH University, Krakow, Poland
Andrei Vancea (Web Master), University of Zurich, Switzerland

PROGRAM COMMITTEE

1. Eitan Altman, INRIA, France
2. Dominique Barth, University of Versailles, France
3. Torsten Braun, Universität Bern, Switzerland
4. Maria Angeles Callejo, Telefonica Investigacion y Desarrollo, Spain
5. Jean-Laurent Costeaux, France Telecom SA, France
6. Costas A. Courcoubetis, Athens University of Economics and Business, 
Greece
7. György Dan, KTH Stockholm, Sweden
8. Zoran Despotovic, DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH, Germany
9. Philip Eardley, Britisch Telecom, UK
10. Markus Fiedler, BTH Karlskrona, Sweden
11. David Hausheer, UC Berkeley, USA and University of Zurich, Switzerland
12. Nikolaos Laoutaris, Telefonica Investigacion y Desarrollo, Spain
13. Nicolas Le Sauze, Alcatel-Lucent Bell Labs, France
14. Kenji Leibnitz, Osaka University, Japan
15. Antonio Liotta, Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
16. Marco Mellia, Politecnico di Torino , Italy
17. Akihiro Nakao, NICT, University of Tokyo, Japan
18. Konstantin Pussep, Technische Universität Darmstadt, Germany
19. Peter Racz, University of Zürich, Switzerland
20. Peter Reichl, Telecommunications Research Center Vienna (ftw.), Austria
21. Sergios Soursos, Intracom Telecom R&D, Greece
22. Spiros Spirou, Intracom Telecom R&D, Greece
23. Dirk Staehle, University of Würzburg, Germany
24. Rafal Stankiewicz, AGH University, Krakow, Poland
25. Bruno Tuffin, INRIA, France
26. Kurt Tutschku, University of Vienna, Austria

IMPORTANT DATES

Submission: April 1, 2010

Notification: June 1, 2010

Camera-ready: July 1, 2010

Workshop: September 6, 2010

SUBMISSION OF PAPERS

Submitted papers must not substantially overlap with papers that have 
been published or that are simultaneously submitted to a journal or a 
conference with proceedings. Papers should be at most 12 pages in 
Springer LNCS format: http://www.springer.de/comp/lncs/authors.html.

Papers can be submitted until April 1, 2010.

All accepted contributions will appear as full papers in the conference 
proceedings with oral presentations. Accepted papers in proceedings will 
appear in the Springer Lecture Notes in Computer Science (LNCS) (subject 
to approval). The proceedings will be indexed in ACM digital library.

All submissions will be peer-reviewed. In case of an acceptance, the 
final and camera-ready version has to take into account comments of 
reviewers and needs to follow the template’s requirements. Submission 
implies that, if accepted, the author(s) agree to publish in the 
proceedings and to sign a standard Springer copyright release, and also 
that an author of the paper will present it at the workshop. 
Presentations are planned to include a 20 min talk maximum and a 10 min 
discussion.

CONTACT

George D. Stamoulis, [email-masked]
Tobias Hossfeld, [email-masked]

-- 
Zoran Despotovic, Ph.D.
Senior Researcher

DOCOMO Communications Laboratories Europe GmbH
Landsbergerstrasse 312, 80687 Munich, Germany
Tel: +49-89-56824-205  Fax: +49-89-56824-300
http://www.docomoeurolabs.de/
 
Managing Directors (Geschaeftsfuehrer):
Dr. Masami Yabusaki, Naoki Tani, Tsutomu Sakai
Amtsgericht Muenchen, HRB 132976
--------------------------------------------------