Subject: [P2PSIP] new draft: draft-bryan-p2psip-reload-00

From: "Bruce Lowekamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 20 Jun 2007 16:14:32 -0400

We've just submitted a new draft:

D. Bryan, M. Zangrilli, and B. Lowekamp, REsource LOcation And
Discovery (RELOAD) (June 2007)

draft-bryan-p2psip-reload-00

Until it is officially posted, it is available from
http://www.p2psip.org/ietf.php

We look forward to your comments and feedback.

Abstract:

This document outlines the motivation, requirements, and architectural
design for a extensible and lightweight distributed REsource LOcation
And Discovery (RELOAD) protocol. RELOAD is a Peer-to-Peer (P2P) based
approach for registration and resource discovery using distributed
hash tables maintained with binary messages. This design removes the
need for central servers from SIP, while offering full backward
compatibility with SIP, allowing reuse of existing clients, and
allowing P2P enabled peers to communicate with conventional SIP
entities. A basic introduction to the concepts of P2P is presented,
backward compatibility issues addressed, and security considerations
are discussed.

RELOAD is one possible implementation of the protocols being discussed
for creation in the P2PSIP WG. In the context of the work being
proposed, this draft represents a concrete proposal for the P2PSIP
Peer Protocol. RELOAD uses binary messages, derived as much as
possible from the STUN protocol, as the underlying protocol. Note that
in order to be as similar to STUN as possible, some text has been
re-used verbatim from I-Ds and RFCs describing STUN.

In this architecture, no P2PSIP Client Protocol is needed, rather
unmodified SIP is used for access by non-peers. This protocol
considers NAT traversal and fragmentation, supports storage of
information other than registrations, allows for multiple DHT and hash
algorithms, and provides hooks for multiple security schemes. The
protocol described here derives from a fully implemented and
commercially available system with running code.

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip