Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] STUN/TURN role in P2PSIP

From: "Henry Sinnreich" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 11:39:12 -0700

Michael,

> For example, you can recommend using the OpenDHT project to serve as a

> "centralized" location for UAs to communicate resources such as who
can 

> serve as a STUN server.

I love this approach as well, except the openDHT is a research project
and unless there will be a similar commercial version, this is not yet
practical. 

Folks out there on the list: Can you share any info about commercial
initiatives along the line of the openDHT for a general purpose p2p
overlay network?

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----

From: Michael Chen [mailto:[email-masked]] 

Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 10:30 AM

To: [email-masked]

Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] STUN/TURN role in P2PSIP

Hi,

I agree that STUN/TURN/ICE should be left to the p2psip application 

instead of the standard for p2psip. What the standard body can do is to 

produce a recommendation for common practices in regarding NAT
traversal.

For example, you can recommend using the OpenDHT project to serve as a 

"centralized" location for UAs to communicate resources such as who can 

serve as a STUN server.

--Michael

Wei Gengyu wrote:

> Hi, 

> What you said is right,  "Everything depends on the case scenario and
the type of NATs. "

> To make it concrete, we see the two widely deployed applications,
Skype and BT.

> Skype is operated by a service provider and needs centralized
registation.

> BT support any user to deliver torrent file while giving the seed and
tracker addresses. 

> Currently, you can use these two p2p applicatios by downloading
different softwares,

> each software would have its own mechanism to process NAT.

> Bur , the problems are: 

> (1) Is it necessary to make P2PSIP define any mechanisms to facilitate
processing NAT?

> (2) Shall we rely on application softwares just as now. 

> Regards, 

> Gengyu

_______________________________________________

P2PSIP mailing list

[email-masked]

https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: "Michael Slavitch" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Jun 2007 15:31:17 -0400

Done commercially it serves an alternative to root DNS servers.   I can
attest to knowing of some commercial interest in this area but not by my
employer.

To be successful it would need a considerably authoritative sponsor that
need not be commercial or governmental.  Finding that sponsor is the
tough part.

Regards

M

  <http://www.objectworld.com/> 

308 Legget Dr. 
Ottawa Ontario 
K2K 1Y6 Canada

<http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=308+Legget+Drive+Ottawa+Ontario+
K2K+1Y6&layer=&sll=45.341061,-75.904541&sspn=0.007119,0.023839&ie=UTF8&z
=18&ll=45.341061,-75.904541&spn=0.00178,0.00596&t=h&om=1> 

Michael Slavitch              

Lead, Technology Initiatives

[email-masked]

PSTN:  

+1.888.398.9698

x225

Fax:

+1.613.599.7457

 

 

From: Henry Sinnreich [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Friday, June 08, 2007 2:39 PM
To: Michael Chen; [email-masked]
Subject: RE: [P2PSIP] STUN/TURN role in P2PSIP

Michael,

can 

Thanks, Henry

-----Original Message-----

To: [email-masked]

Hi,

serve as a STUN server.

--Michael

the type of NATs. "

Skype and BT.

registation.

tracker addresses. 

different softwares,

processing NAT?

P2PSIP mailing list

[email-masked]

 

________________________________

Spam
<http://canitpro-int.objectworld.com/canit/b.php?i=687433&m=d1d39c7293b3
&c=s> 
Not spam
<http://canitpro-int.objectworld.com/canit/b.php?i=687433&m=d1d39c7293b3
&c=n> 
Forget previous vote
<http://canitpro-int.objectworld.com/canit/b.php?i=687433&m=d1d39c7293b3
&c=f> 

-----------------------------------------------

This transmission (including any attachments) may contain confidential information, privileged material (including material protected by the solicitor-client or other applicable privileges), or constitute non-public information. Any use of this information by anyone other than the intended recipient is prohibited. If you have received this transmission in error, please immediately reply to the sender and delete this information from your system. Use, dissemination, distribution, or reproduction of this transmission by unintended recipients is not authorized and may be unlawful. 

Any views, opinions and content presented in this e-mail are solely those of the author and may not represent those of Objectworld Communications Corp. 
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip