Subject: [P2PSIP] questions about reload draft

From: "Antoine Roly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 4 Dec 2008 15:10:05 +0100

Hi,

I have some questions about the draft Reload-Base:

- Usage of Probes before Attaches: in section 10.5, the
  point 2 is "JP uses a series of Probes to populate its routing
  table." but in section 3.5.2 and callflows in section 12 there is no
  Probe message. I know Section 10 is specific for Chord-Reload, and
  section 3.5.2 is generic, but as it is currently described, it is
  not clear if Probes should be really used or not. Is Probe useful
  just only when using Chord? If yes, I assume these Probes are sent
  with an empty list of info, and so, should'nt Ping be used instead?

- Could you clarify point 10.6 on source routing? It is said that
 source-routing Attaches through the peer from which a node learned
 the new peer's Node-ID "allows the overlay to recover from
 instability". This latest statement probably requires a more detailed
 explanation. Additional question: why is the source-routing of
 Attaches mandatory ONLY for peer in the neighborhood's table. If the
 peer crashes, I assume Attaches are routed "conventionally"
 through the overlay.

- Must we add a byte "on the wire" just before ResourceId (as
  described in section 5.2.1.1) or even before every structure of
  variable length? If we must add one before every structure of
  variable length, why not explicitly include it while describing the
  message fields? For example, for the payload length, since the
  signature has a variable length, it seems necessary to explicitely
  add a 3 bytes message field representing the length before the
  payload, isn't it?

- section 10.7.3: "To determine if its finger table is sufficiently
  large, one an hour the peer should perform a Probe to determine
  whether growing its finger table by four entries would result in it
  learning at least two peers that it does not already have in its
  neighbor table.". This last sentence is not easy to follow: to which
  node should the Probe be addressed?  (By the way, it could maybe be
  a Ping too).

Thanks

Antoine
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip