Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] [SIPP2P] question about some tables definition in the draft RELOAD-Base

From: [email-masked]
Date: Sun, 21 Dec 2008 23:05:47 +0800

Dear Bruce,

Thanks very much for your answer.
So, in the chord Section, does the routing table and the finger table stand
for the same thing? Besides, Neighborhood table and Neighbor table also
mean the same thing which contains the 3 peers before this peer and the 3
peers after it in the DHT ring. Am I right?
I noted that the term of Neighbor table is only used in section 10.7.3
Stabilization, most of other subsections in the chord Section use the term
of Neighborhood table.

In addition, I can't capture the meaning about growing or shrinking the
size of finger table addressed in section 10.7.3 Stabilization. The
statement addresses as following,

"To determine if its finger table is sufficiently large, one an hour the
peer should perform a Probe to determine whether growing its finger table
by four entries would result in it learning at least two peers that it does
not already have in its neighbor table.  If so, then the finger table
SHOULD be grown by four entries."

Which peers should the peer perform a Probe to?
I don't understand why it say "growing its finger table by four entries
would result in it learning at least two peers that it does not already
have in its neighbor table"?  Would you please explain more detail for me?

Thanks a lot in advance.

BR,
Jeffrey

---------------- Original Message ----------------
> "Bruce Lowekamp" <[email-masked]> 2008/12/18 下午 11:35:02    wrote:

收件人: [email-masked]
副本抄送: [email-masked],[email-masked]

主旨: Re: [P2PSIP] [SIPP2P] question about some tables definition in the
draft RELOAD-Base

Jeffrey,

I think the terminology confusion comes from the use of generic terms
in the bulk of the draft, but more chord-derived terms in the chord
section.

The connection table and routing table are generic terms defined in
the terminology section and used in the majority of the draft.  Finger
table is a chord-specific term for routing table.  Neighborhood table
is also a chord-specific term (called leaf set in some other
algorithms).  I believe Finger Table and Neighborhood Table are used
only in the Chord section.

Hope that helps.  Please let me know if there are specific areas of
confusion where we can work to clear up the terminology.

Bruce

On Thu, Dec 18, 2008 at 12:59 AM,  <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Dear sir,
>
> I am studying the section 10 Chord algorithm in the draft RELOAD-Base.
But I
> am confused with some terminology, I don't know if it is the
non-consistency
> problem or need to be further defined clearly.
> The terminologies confused to me are various tables presented in
different
> subsections, like Routing table, finger table, connection table, neighbor
> table, and neighborhood table. Anyone can define them more clear for me
so
> that I can read it easily.
> Thanks in advance.
>
> BR,
> Jeffrey
>
> 本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內
容，並請銷毀此信件。
> This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or
> disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended
recipient.
>
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip
>
>
本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內容，並請銷毀此信件。
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip