Subject: [P2PSIP] Question about which version of Chord algorithm in the RELOADdraft is referred to

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:59:22 +0800

Subject: [P2PSIP] Question about which version of Chord algorithm in the RELOAD draft is referred to
From: [email-masked]
To: [email-masked]
Cc: [email-masked], [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 14:59:22 +0800

Dear Sir,

The draft of RELOAD defines a DHT based on Chord, which is mandatory to
implement. It seems there are two Chord algorithm references which have a
little different at the Join procedure .
(1) One is Stoica, I., Morris, R., Karger, D., Kaashoek, M., Dabek, F., and
H. Balakrishnan, "Chord: A Scalable Peer-to-peer Lookup Service for
Internet Applications", in Proc. SIGCOMM, San Diego, CA, Aug. 2001, pp
149-160.
(2) The other is Stoica, I., Morris, R., Liben-Nowell, D., Karger, D.,
Kaashoek, M., Dabek, F., and H. Balakrishnan, "Chord: A Scalable
Peer-to-peer Lookup Protocol for Internet Applications", IEEE/ACM
Transactions on Networking Volume 11, Issue 1, 17-32, Feb 2003.

So which version of Chord algorithm is referred to in RELOAD draft? If the
second one is adopted, the title of [Chord] listed in 16.2. Informative
References should be wrong. It should change to Peer-to-peer Lookup
"Protocol" not "Service".

Thanks.

BR,
Jeffrey

本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內容，並請銷毀此信件。
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.

_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip

---

From: "Bruce Lowekamp" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 3 Dec 2008 08:03:05 -0500

Hi Jeffrey,

It's a little hard to read your email since it's only enclosed as a
google document and not an attachment, but fortunately gmail reads it
for me.

The intention was to cite the journal version, since the algorithm in
the conference paper essentially doesn't work forming a new overlay.
I will fix that reference.

However, that reference is included only for informational purposes;
it's not an implementation of what's in that paper.  The algorithm in
the draft needs to stand on its own, and we have made numerous changes
to it both to adapt it to some specific requirements we have (like NAT
traversal) and to update it to include more modern enhancements (such
as randomness in finger table selection).

Bruce