Subject: [P2PSIP] questions about storage section

From: "Antoine Roly" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 23 Dec 2008 17:27:53 +0100

Hi,

I have some questions about storage section in the Reload Base draft:

Section 6

*storage_time: The time when the data was stored in absolute time,
represented in seconds since the Unix epoch. Any attempt to store a data
value with a storage time before that of a value already stored at this
location MUST generate a 412 error.** Note that this does not require
synchronized clocks: the receiving peer uses the storage time in the
previous store, not its own clock.
*
What value should be used for the first store a peer receive? For the next
requests, if I'm right, the peer starts a timer every time it receives a
store, and set storage time value to [previous storage time + timer value],
isn't it?

Section 6.3.1.1 Store request definition:

*kind: The Kind-ID.  Implementations SHOULD reject requests corresponding to
unknown kinds unless specifically configured otherwise.*

but a few sentences below:

*The peer MUST perform the following checks:*
*   o  The kind_id is known and supported. *
*   [...]*
*If all these checks succeed, the peer MUST attempt to store the data values
[...]*

What is the correct action if I am configured to accept unknown kinds?

*For non-replica stores, if the store succeeds and the data is changed, then
the peer must increase the generation counter by at least one.  If there are
multiple stored values in a single StoreKindData, it is permissible for the
peer to increase the generation counter by only 1 for the entire Kind-ID, or
by 1 or more than one for each value.*

Why allowing to increase the counter by more than one? If a node increase
the value by more than one, it could become higher than the number of time
the object has been written (which is the definition of generation_counter).

*0 is used by other nodes *(note: which other nodes?)* to indicate that they
are indifferent to the generation counter's current value. For replica
Stores, the peer MUST set the generation counter to match the
generation_counter in the message. Replica Stores MUST NOT use a generation
counter of 0.*

If I am a node indifferent to generation counter's value and I Store data, I
can set generation value to 0. What value should be used for replicas Stores
since they must no use 0?

Best regards,

A.
*
*
_______________________________________________
P2PSIP mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip