Subject: Re: [P2PSIP] Review of RELOAD base draft

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 18:30:43 -0800

On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 3:35 AM, Ari Keranen <[email-masked]> wrote:
> Page 99, Section "9.4 Joining"
> "In order to populate its neighbor table, JP sends a Ping via the
> bootstrap node directed at Resource-ID n+1 (directly after its own
> Resource-ID).  This allows it to discover its own successor.  Call that
> node p0.  It then sends a ping to p0+1 to discover its successor (p1).
> This process can be repeated to discover as many successors as desired."
>
> Could the AP send a copy of its neighbor table (e.g., in an Update
> message) to the JP? The JP could then initialize its neighbor table
> using the received entries and there would be no need to send Ping requests.

I think this could be accomplished if JP sends AP a RouteQueryReq with
send_update set to true.  The complication is that AP would have to
use the via-list of the received RouteQueryReq to populate the
destination list since JP isn't in the overlay yet.  I think this
would be the first place in the protocol where a peer is required to
do on behalf of another node, except for obtaining a destination list
through a usage (none of which have defined doing that to the best of
my knowledge so far).

I'm curious what people feel about this change?  Keep in mind that
there may be significantly more than 3 successors/predecessors in the
neighborhood table (which is also being clarified in response to other
comments Jouni and Ari made in their review).

Bruce

---

From: Ari Keranen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:36:41 +0200

> comments Jouni and Ari made in their review).

IMHO, considering the advantages, this seems like a reasonable change.

Cheers,
Ari

---

From: Jouni Mäenpää <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 17 Feb 2010 09:40:43 +0200

Hi,

> through a usage (none of which have defined doing that to the best of

What if the JP would, before contacting other nodes, first send an
Attach to the AP (possibly after sending a Ping to the AP first). Then,
it could send the RouteQueryReq over the resulting direct connection to
the AP (without routing the request across the overlay; I am assuming
that in the text above, the RouteQueryReq is sent across the overlay).
The AP would also send the Update carrying its neighbor table to the JP
over the direct connection. Thus, there would be no need to worry about
populating the destination list (because neither the RouteQueryReq nor
the the Update are sent across the overlay).

Just a thought, I might be missing something here.

Cheers,
Jouni

Bruce Lowekamp wrote:
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip