Subject: [P2PSIP] [p2psip] asking about the synchronization of storage time

From: "shen" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 11 Feb 2010 08:30:10 +0800

Dear All,

I would like to ask a question about the synchronization of storage time for
Store Request.

For a Store Request , “storage_time” field is used to prevent rollback
attacks. But if there are more than one peer to store the same resource ,
there may be some problem of synchronization.

Foe example, if node1’s clock is faster than node2s’ and node 1 has stored
the resource which the storage time followed node1 ‘s clock. When node 2
stores the same resource, it is possible that the “storage_time” value of
“NEW” Store Request is smaller than the previous storage time. How does it
synchronize the clocks? Is there any mechanism to avoid the situation?

Thanks a lot.

BR,
Wanwan Shen

本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內容，並請銷毀此信件。
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.

---

From: Bruce Lowekamp <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 15 Feb 2010 15:14:25 -0800

Depends on the size of the data being stored.  For any of the currently
proposed usages, the sizes are low, so carrying the data is essentially
free.  If a refresh was added for efficiency with potential large objects,
there would have to be a corresponding error code and subsequent store of
the data in case it's been lost.

Given that the protocol isn't really designed for storing large objects in
the overlay as it currently stands, I think such support would just add
unnecessary complication.

Bruce

2010/1/25 JeffreyHo <[email-masked]>

>  Dear all,
>
> Any comments or idea on this question?
> I think if we can just specify the refresh purpose in the StoreReq instead
> of sending a full StoreReq for refresh, it can mitigate the traffic load,
> right?
> Welcome to any discussion and feedback.
>
> BR,
> Jeffrey
>
>  ------------------------------
> *From:* [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] *On
> Behalf Of *JeffreyHo
> *Sent:* Friday, January 22, 2010 3:11 PM
> *To:* [email-masked]
> *Cc:* 沈婉婉shen
> *Subject:* [P2PSIP] [p2psip] asking about the lifetime of the stored data
> andrefreshing mechanism
>
>  Dear all,
>
> I would like to ask a question about the lifetime of the stored data and
> refresh behavior sequentially.
> The 'lifetime' field of RELOAD's StoredData structure specifies the
> validity period for the data, that is the expiration time in the overlay.
> So if the data owner wants to keep the data previously stored still
> validity, the refresh behavior is necessary, just like the registration
> refresh in SIP Concept.
>
> Based on the StoredData structure if we want to do refresh for the data, it
> seems that we can just send StoreReq with the content of data again to renew
> the 'lifetime' value.  Am I right?  If so, this seems in the wasted way.
> Can we have an efficient way to do the refresh behavior, for example just
> bringing the lifetime value to be renewed for the data, not going along with
> the data content?  It could be like the refresh mechanism of SIP
> registration or presence publication.  Should we go this way?
>
> Thanks a lot.
>
> BR,
> Jeffrey
> This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or
> disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.
> This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or
> disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.
>
> _______________________________________________
> P2PSIP mailing list
> [email-masked]
> https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/p2psip
>
>