Subject: [P2PSIP] Issue about an impact on erroneous judgement of life time for a stored resource after resource migration

From: JeffreyHo <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 Dec 2010 14:13:47 +0800

Dear all,

I would like to address an issue about erroneous judgement of life time for a stored resource in Storage Request after resource migration. It might be caused by asynchronized clock among peers.

In the section of Data Storage Protocol specified in reload base, it gives a note that "this does not require synchronized clocks: the receiving peer uses the storage time in the previous store, not its own clock."  But it seems resulting in an impact on life time judgement for checking the validity period for the stored data after resource migration. If the clock is required to be synchronized for all peers on the overlay, the validity period check can be done dependent on both 'storage_time' and 'lifetime', even resource migration occurred. But now the 'storage_time' can be used for such time operation in the receiving peer, especially for resource migration situation. An alternative is that the original responsible peer modify the 'lifetime' in the Store Request before resource migration for the new responsible peer so that the new peer can know how much time the migrated resource will be expired.

Should we specify the action of modifying the life time for Store Request when doing resource migration in the reload base specification? Any response is welcome. Thanks a lot. 

BR,
Jeffrey

====================================================================
本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內容，並請銷毀此信件。 
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.

---

From: JeffreyHo <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 28 Dec 2010 15:03:03 +0800

Dear Sir,
 
Any comment or suggestion on this thread? 
I appreciate any response from you.
Thanks a lot.
 
Jeffrey 

  _____  

From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of
JeffreyHo
Sent: Wednesday, December 22, 2010 2:14 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [P2PSIP] Issue about an impact on erroneous judgement of life
timefor a stored resource after resource migration

Dear all, 

I would like to address an issue about erroneous judgement of life time for
a stored resource in Storage Request after resource migration. It might be
caused by asynchronized clock among peers.

In the section of Data Storage Protocol specified in reload base, it gives a
note that "this does not require synchronized clocks: the receiving peer
uses the storage time in the previous store, not its own clock."  But it
seems resulting in an impact on life time judgement for checking the
validity period for the stored data after resource migration. If the clock
is required to be synchronized for all peers on the overlay, the validity
period check can be done dependent on both 'storage_time' and 'lifetime',
even resource migration occurred. But now the 'storage_time' can be used for
such time operation in the receiving peer, especially for resource migration
situation. An alternative is that the original responsible peer modify the
'lifetime' in the Store Request before resource migration for the new
responsible peer so that the new peer can know how much time the migrated
resource will be expired.

Should we specify the action of modifying the life time for Store Request
when doing resource migration in the reload base specification? Any response
is welcome. Thanks a lot. 

BR, 
Jeffrey 

本信件可能包含工研院機密資訊，非指定之收件者，請勿使用或揭露本信件內容，並請
銷毀此信件。 
This email may contain confidential information. Please do not use or
disclose it in any way and delete it if you are not the intended recipient.