Subject: [P2PSIP] Jari Arkko's Discuss on draft-ietf-p2psip-diagnostics-19: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Jari Arkko" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 16 Dec 2015 23:20:25 -0800

Jari Arkko has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-p2psip-diagnostics-19: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-p2psip-diagnostics/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

Per Alexey's Gen-ART review and my own read, Section 9.1 is inconsistent
with Section 5.3. The document says earlier that first and last bits are
reserved. This is not shown in the table at all. What's perhaps causing
the confusion is that there are special values (all 0s and all 1s) that
convey nothing is requested and that everything is requested. This does
not appear to be the same as having two reserved bits. You may want one
or the other or both, but as it stands 9.1 or 5.3 do not seem to be
saying the same thing.

Also, Section 5.3 uses "delimited" when it probably should have said
"terminated", unless there's more substructure in the SOFTWARE_VERSION
string than is identified by the text.