Subject: [Pals] Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-pals-rfc4447bis-05: (with DISCUSS)

From: "Alexey Melnikov" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 27 Sep 2016 01:04:11 -0700

Alexey Melnikov has entered the following ballot position for
draft-ietf-pals-rfc4447bis-05: Discuss

When responding, please keep the subject line intact and reply to all
email addresses included in the To and CC lines. (Feel free to cut this
introductory paragraph, however.)

Please refer to https://www.ietf.org/iesg/statement/discuss-criteria.html
for more information about IESG DISCUSS and COMMENT positions.

The document, along with other ballot positions, can be found here:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-pals-rfc4447bis/

----------------------------------------------------------------------
DISCUSS:
----------------------------------------------------------------------

I have a simple issue with the IANA Considerations section which should
be easy to address:

The IANA section seem to be suggesting that IANA should do full search of
its registries to update all references to RFC 4447 to point to
rfc4447bis. I don't think it is easy for IANA to do that.

This document is obsoleting RFC 4447, which means that there is no need
to ever read RFC 4447 in order to implement this document. For that
reason, you should copy and paste content of the original RFC 4447's IANA
Considerations into this document. After that, add a sentence saying that
the only change is updating references to point to this document.

---

From: "BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 11:26:48 +0000

Hi Alexey,

As you say, this is a simple edit. For ISs, there are no clear procedures and we thought this was less risk. IANA was also ok.

How about we do this as an RFC Editor Note?

If you could clear your DISCUSS before vacation that would be great.

Thanks,
Deborah

> -----Original Message-----
> From: Alexey Melnikov [mailto:[email-masked]]
> Sent: Tuesday, September 27, 2016 4:04 AM
> To: The IESG <[email-masked]>
> Cc: [email-masked]; [email-masked];
> Stewart Bryant <[email-masked]>; [email-masked];
> [email-masked]; [email-masked]
> Subject: Alexey Melnikov's Discuss on draft-ietf-pals-rfc4447bis-05: (with
> DISCUSS)
>

---

From: Alexey Melnikov <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 28 Sep 2016 13:25:26 +0100

Hi Deborah,

On Wed, Sep 28, 2016, at 12:26 PM, BRUNGARD, DEBORAH A wrote:
> Hi Alexey,
> 
> As you say, this is a simple edit. For ISs, there are no clear procedures
> and we thought this was less risk. IANA was also ok.
> 

RFC Editor note is fine.

> If you could clear your DISCUSS before vacation that would be great.

Ok.