Subject: RE: one or two protocols? was:RE: Re: EAPoIP

From: George Tsirtsis <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 8 Feb 2002 09:17:33 -0500

-----Original Message-----
From: Jacques Caron [mailto:[email-masked]]
Sent: Friday, February 08, 2002 1:42 PM
To: George Tsirtsis
Cc: 'Paal Engelstad'; Basavaraj. Patil (E-mail);
[email-masked]
Subject: Re: one or two protocols? was:RE: Re: EAPoIP

At 12:18 08/02/2002, George Tsirtsis wrote:
>Paal,
>
>You keep ignoring maybe the most important reason we are here and that is
>straight forward network access. You are only thinking about application
>layer and thus EAP over UDP, because you are only thinking hotels/airports
>and such application.
>
>Still, at least half the people in this group think that PANA is needed for
>authentication for network access potentially performed *prior* to address
>allocation between the end node and the access router.
>
>Now, if you try a bit and please, please try :-) you will realize that
using
>EAPoverUDP to get basic internet access is too inefficient and it does not
>work if you do not already have an address! People want to use this is all
>shorts of scenarios, including wide are wireless and potentially frequently
>due to end node movement. For this kind of fundamental function it is
>prudent to go lower in the networking stack

I think you just made the case for L2 integration rather than L3 :-)

GT> Now, what can I say.... Internetworking Level 1: The Internet Protocol
was created to interconnect different link layers. This way functions that
need to happen over all link layers can be done once in the network layer. 

George
P.S1: I am getting very confused and tired. We have a lot of parallel
discussions and I am sure most of us also have day jobs to do. Can we at
least separate and clearly label discussions about whether we need PANA or
not, from ones about requirements, from ones about current suggested
solutions. 

P.S2: BTW, all available solutions were submitted before we did the
requirements and they were mostly rough ideas to help us create reasonable
requirements and scope the problem...we all need to revise and resubmit
based on the actual requirements when these are done.