Subject: Requirements draft is here!

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 3 Feb 2002 16:56:07 -0800

Dear PANA WG members,

I'd like to announce that PANA requirements and terminology draft
has just been submited to the IETF editors. To expedite the discussions
on this work, I'm providing a copy of the information on this draft and
a pointer to the text before it is officially published:

http://yegin.org/IETF/draft-ietf-pana-requirements-00.txt

Title :          Protocol for Carrying Authentication for Network
                  Access (PANA) Requirements and Terminology
Author(s) :  Alper E. Yegin (editor), Yoshihiro Ohba,
                  Reinaldo Penno, George Tsirtsis, Cliff Wang
Filename :  draft-ietf-pana-requirements-00.txt
Pages :       10
Date :         February 3, 2002
Abstract:
 
   It is expected that future IP devices will have a variety of access
   technologies to gain network connectivity. Currently there are
   access-specific mechanisms for providing client information to the
   network for authentication and authorization purposes. In addition
   to being limited to specific access medias (e.g., 802.1x for IEEE
   802 links), some of these protocols are also sub-optimal (e.g., PPP
   due to its mandatory framing which is not always needed). The goal
   of the PANA Working Group is to design a general network-layer
   protocol to authenticate clients to the networks. The protocol will
   run between a client's device and an agent device in the network
   where the agent might be a client of the AAA infrastructure. The
   protocol should be independent of the underlying access-type and not
   overloaded with other aspects of the network access (e.g., framing).
   This document defines the common terminology and identifies the
   requirements for PANA.

Please review this draft and provide comments/questions on the
PANA mailing list.

Enjoy!

alper

---

From: subir Das <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 11 Feb 2002 16:33:09 -0500

Although late, I would like to thank Alper and his team  members for
publishing the PANA requirements and terminology  draft on time. Since I
was out of the country for a month or so due to some visa issues, I could
not participate actively in the mailing list. Hopefully I will be able to
catch up with you guys shortly.

Subir