Subject: RE: PANA FAQ

From: John Schnizlein <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 22 May 2002 17:17:46 -0400

I did not mean to suggest that the layer-2 authentication that 
someone might want to require before an IP address is assigned
would preclude any other authentication desired after the host
has an IP address and is (therefore) capable of higher-layer
communication. After the IP address is configured, a host can
use any layer-3 protocol for authentication or anything else.

I hope you agree that requiring authentication before an IP
address implies that authentication will not be at layer-3. 

John

At 04:05 PM 5/22/2002, [email-masked] wrote:

>>If someone wants authentication before an IP address is assigned, 
>>it seems clear that they want layer-2 authentication.
>
>I do not totally agree with this. You could have authentication at L2
>and subsequently authentication of some userID or NAI at a higher
>layer. So just because you perform authentication before a node has an
>IP address does not directly imply that the network only relies or
>wants L2 authentication. For example, you could have an IP address
>associated with your device and the network may request you to do an L2
>authentication or reauthentication (whatever the case).