Subject: Re: PANA FAQ

From: "Alper E. YEGIN" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 6 Jun 2002 10:53:36 -0700

Erik,

> > This is same as what Mobile IP already deals with. Mobile IPv4
> > registration process is equivalent to PANA exchange as far as
> > handling unspecified IP source address is concerned.
> >
> > And it's already implemented, so it's not just theory.
>
> Is it specified and implemented for multi-access links?

Specifications say source IP address of a registration
request can be 0.0.0.0, or a private address which can collide
with another MN using the same FA. I don't think they talk
about how to do this for different links.

As for implementation, if my memory serves, this was also
implemented for multi-access links (e.g., ethernet). But of course
I no longer have access to that particular implementation :)

> The MIPv4 special hackery to handle private addresses on MNs that I've
> seen only work if the MNs connect to the FA over a point-to-point
interface
> such as PPP.
>
> And I didn't think we wanted to limit PANA to pt-pt interfaces.

Agreed.

alper