Subject: Separation of PAA and Access router (multi access router scenario)

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 08:32:02 -0500

Hello,

At IETF54 we had some discussion on the issue of how PANA works in the
scenario where there are multiple access routers on the same link.

The charter specifies the colocation of the PAA with the access
router. This was done primarily to simply the protocol. The PaC
(client) does not have to discover or figure out the address of the
PAA if it is colocated with the AR. Also the authorization received
from the the AAA backend to allow access to the PaC can be directly
applied to the AR. 

The primary issue at the IETF meeting was whether every access router
would have a PAA. Of course this is the simplest approach. 

But does this imply that the PaC performs authentication with every
PAA? Or the PaC performs authentication with only one of the PAAs and
the authorization to access is then distributed to all other PAAs on
the link? 

I am of the opinion that it is simpler to have the *option* of keeping
the PAA separated from the access router.  In such a case the PAA
would be able to communicate with the multiple access routers (EP) to
authorize access for a PaC. 
The implication here is that there needs to be a protocol defined that
would allow the PAA and the ARs (EP) to communicate. The definition of
this messaging would be a part of the PANA WG scope as well.

So we would like to modify the charter to allow the option of having
the PAA separated from the AR. 
If you have comments on making such a change, please send them to the
WG list.

-Chairs

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 10:20:52 -0400

I completely agree on the proposal.  

Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Subir Das <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 24 Sep 2002 11:47:03 -0400

> the PAA separated from the AR.

=> Good proposal

Subir

---

From: Reinaldo Penno <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 20:42:27 -0700 (PDT)

Many moons ago I advocated that having the option was
a good idea and proposed not to change the charter to
allow this, just keep it out of scope. But it seems
this issue needs to be formaly addressed.

So if we are going there as it seems let's not loose
focus on the current work and also try to reuse one of
the many protocols around to do this...midcom, cops,
diameter, etc, etc

regards,

Reinaldo

> If you have comments on making such a change, please

__________________________________________________
Do you Yahoo!?
New DSL Internet Access from SBC & Yahoo!
http://sbc.yahoo.com