Subject: RE: EP, AR and PANA

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 10:44:37 -0500

>Enforcement Point (EP):
>
>  A node that is able to filter packets by using Device Identifier 

filter packets sent by the PaC to the access network/router

>  information indicated by a PAA.  Additional cryptographically
>  strong 

using DI information authorized by a PAA.

>  method for per-packet protection may be used together with packet
>  filtering.

The statement about "cryptogrpahically strong method" is
confusing. Does it mean that secure means beyond the scope of PANA may
be in place and PANA by itself with the DI is unable to afford
protection? 

>Yoshihiro Ohba

-Basavaraj

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 30 Sep 2002 12:13:30 -0400

> be in place and PANA by itself with the DI is unable to afford

Although I'm not sure what "afford protection" exactly means in this
context, per-packet protection itself is beyond the scope of PANA but
ability to enable per-packet protection (by using LSA) can be the
scope of PANA.  If PANA is completely independent of per-packet
protection mechanism, there should be no need to mention per-packet
protection at all in the definition of EP, IMHO.

Yoshihiro Ohba