Subject: [Pana] Issue 8

From: Alper Yegin <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 30 Sep 2003 12:34:30 -0700

Please see below for the proposed resolution of Issue #8
http://danforsberg.info:8080/pana-issues/issue8

Comments welcome.

--------

Change Section 4.8 to:

4.8. Session Lifetime

The authentication phase determines the PANA session lifetime when the
network access authorization succeeds. The Session-Lifetime AVP MAY be
optionally included in the PANA-Bind-Request message to inform PaC about the
valid lifetime of the PANA session. It MUST be ignored when included in
other PANA messages. When there are multiple EAP authentication taking
place, this AVP SHOULD be included after the final authentication.

The lifetime is a non-negotiable parameter that can be used by PaC to manage
PANA-related state. PaC does not have to perform any actions when the
lifetime expires, other than optionally purging local state. PAA SHOULD
initiate EAP authentication before the current session lifetime expires.

PaC and PAA MAY optionally rely on lower-layer indications to expedite the
detection of a disconnected peer. Availability and reliability of such
indications depend on the specific access technologies. PANA peer can use
PANA-Reauth-Request message to verify the disconnection before taking an
action.

The session lifetime parameter is not related to the transmission of
PANA-Reauth-Request messages. These messages can be used for asynchronously
verifying the liveness of the peer and enabling mobility optimizations. The
decision to send PANA-Reauth-Request message is taken locally and does not
require coordination between the peers.

Add:

9.4.9. Session-Lifetime AVP

The Session-Lifetime AVP (Code 1032) data is of type Unsigned32. It contains
the number of seconds remaining before the current session is considered
expired.

In section 4.3, change from:

      <-----     PANA-Bind-Request(x+3,y+2)           // F-flag set
                   [EAP{Success}, Device-Id, Protection-Cap., MAC]
      ----->     PANA-Bind-Answer(y+3,x+3)
                   [Device-Id, Protection-Cap., MAC]  // F-flag set

To:

      <-----     PANA-Bind-Request(x+3,y+2)           // F-flag set
                   [EAP{Success}, Device-Id, Lifetime, Protection-Cap., MAC]
      ----->     PANA-Bind-Answer(y+3,x+3)
                   [Device-Id, Protection-Cap., MAC]  // F-flag set

In section 4.6, change from:

      <-----     PANA-Bind-Request(x+3,y+2)        // F-flag set
                   [EAP, Device-Id, Data-Protection, MAC]
    
      ----->     PANA-Bind-Answer(y+3,x+3)         // F-flag set
                   [Device-Id, Data-Protection, MAC]

To: 

      <-----     PANA-Bind-Request(x+3,y+2)        // F-flag set
                   [EAP{Success}, Device-Id, Lifetime, Data-Protection, MAC]
    
      ----->     PANA-Bind-Answer(y+3,x+3)         // F-flag set
                   [Device-Id, Data-Protection, MAC]

In section 9.3.7, change from:

     PANA-Bind-Request ::= < PANA-Header: 6, REQ, [FIN] >
                    < Session-Id >
                    < Device-Id >
                    { EAP-Payload }
                    { Result-Code }
                    [ Protection-Capability ]
                  * [ AVP ]
                0*1 < MAC >
To:

     PANA-Bind-Request ::= < PANA-Header: 6, REQ, [FIN] >
                    < Session-Id >
                    < Device-Id >
                    { EAP-Payload }
                    { Result-Code }
                    [ Session-Lifetime ]
                    [ Protection-Capability ]
                  * [ AVP ]
                0*1 < MAC >

In section 9.5, change from:

                       +-----------------------------------------+
                       |        Message                          |
                       |          Type                           |
                       +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
   Attribute Name      | PSR | PSA | PAR | PAN | PBR | PBA | PDI |
   --------------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
   Result-Code         |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  1  |  0  |  0  |
   Session-Id          |  0  |  0  |  1  |  1  |  1  |  1  |  0  |
   Termination-Cause   |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |
   EAP-Payload         |  0  |  0  |  1  |  1  |  1  |  0  |  0  |
   MAC                 |  0  |  0  | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1 |  0  |
   Device-Id           |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  1+ |  1+ | 0-1 |
   Cookie              | 0-1 | 0-1 |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |
   Protection-Cap.     |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  | 0-1 |  0  |  0  |
   --------------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+

To:

                      +-----------------------------------------+
                       |        Message                          |
                       |          Type                           |
                       +-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
   Attribute Name      | PSR | PSA | PAR | PAN | PBR | PBA | PDI |
   --------------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+
   Result-Code         |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  1  |  0  |  0  |
   Session-Id          |  0  |  0  |  1  |  1  |  1  |  1  |  0  |
   Termination-Cause   |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |
   EAP-Payload         |  0  |  0  |  1  |  1  |  1  |  0  |  0  |
   MAC                 |  0  |  0  | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1 | 0-1 |  0  |
   Device-Id           |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  1+ |  1+ | 0-1 |
   Cookie              | 0-1 | 0-1 |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  |
   Protection-Cap.     |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  | 0-1 |  0  |  0  |
   Session-Lifetime    |  0  |  0  |  0  |  0  | 0-1 |  0  |  0  |
   --------------------+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+-----+ 

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana