Subject: [Pana] PANA - link local address - duplicate address detection

From: Goeman Stefan <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 13 May 2004 16:29:13 +0200

Hello,

I have a question that is puzzling me.
In IPv6 you could use an autoconfigured link local address and start PANA.
However, normally you should do duplicate address detection for this link
local address, and everybody knows the problems that exist with DAD. I know
that IETF SEND provides a solution to this problem, but personally I am not
so happy with this (PKI-based) approach.

Q1: So, I wonder what would be the real threat/problem if you would use a
link local address to start PANA, secure the link layer and configure a post
PANA IP-address with DHCPv6 for example?

Q2: In case of a wireless environment, would the following approach be
possible? A MN creates a link local address and performs DAD. The AP, where
the link layer terminates, "intercepts" this request and answers on behalf
of all MN connected to the AP (the AP knows all link local and other address
of the MN which are currently already connected). In this case a malicious
MN would not be able to falsely claim the link local address of the new MN
trying to obtain IP connectivity.

Greetings,
Stefan. 

Stefan Goeman 
SIEMENS ICM/ICN 
[email-masked]  <mailto:[email-masked]> 

Mobile Solutions 
and Enabling Services
http://www.ic.siemens.be <http://www.ic.siemens.be/eng/default_rd.shtm>

Customer driven solution providers