Subject: [Pana] host route

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 06:59:29 -0700

I came up with an issue after submitting
draft-ietf-pana-framework-00.txt.

In section 5 of draft-ietf-pana-framework-00.txt:

      "PRPA and the IP address of PAA are assumed to be on the same IP
      subnet, hence the PaC and PAA can perform on-link communication as
      required by PANA.  When the PaC replaces its IPv4 PRPA with POPA,
      this assumption may not hold true. In order to maintain the same
      on-link communication, the PaC and PAA SHOULD create host routes
      to each other upon PaC's IP address change.  The PaC SHOULD create
      a host route to the PAA, and the PAA SHOULD create a host route to
      the PaC (POPA)."

In order to create a host route to the PaC, the PAA needs to know the
POPA.  However, when MAC address is used as the device-id, no
device-id update occurs in PANA, and I am wondering how the PAA can
know the POPA.  There would be several ways to deal with this:

- PAA listens to DHCP or data traffic on the link to know the POPA.

- PAA communicates with DHCP server (by using some other protocol such
as SNMP) to know the POPA.

- After obtaining POPA, the PaC sends a PANA-Reauth-Request with a
  new AVP that carries the POPA.

Which is better or any other ways?

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana