Subject: [Pana] issue85 (question)

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 14 May 2004 15:59:11 -0700

As a result of recent discussion, I am preparing for adding new
messages PANA-POPA-Update-Request and PANA-POPA-Update-Answer to let
the PAA know the POPA of the PaC.

I have one question: Are these messages need to be integrity
protected?

I think the answer is yes in general, to prevent the host route to a
legitimate PaC from being altered by an attacker.  On the other hand,
this means that an EAP method that can generate keys would be needed
even for networks (e.g., DSL) that are secured by lower-layers.

Since there is an address ownership issue with regard to POPA, which
cannot be solved by integrity protecting the POPA update messages and
needs a mechanism outside the PANA protocol, I am wondering if the
POPA update procedure really needs to be integrity protected.

Opinions?

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana