Subject: [Pana] NEW: [issue162] Error AVP handling

From: [email-masked]
Date: Wed, 4 May 2005 11:15:14 +0300

New submission from Dan Forsberg <[email-masked]>:

Problem (Sasikanth): "When an AVP inside a Grouped AVP is in error or is
unrecognized, what should the resulting PER message contain in the Failed AVP -
the AVP that is in error or the entire Grouped AVP  itself?"

Solution (Dan): "Sorry for late reply. I would say that the Failed-AVP AVP
should contain THE AVP that was unsupported or contained invalid data. I
tried to catch this issue from the Diameter spec, but couldn't find a
clarification there."

Text proposal:

Section 4.1

Change from:

"Failed-AVP: contains an offending AVP that caused a failure."

To:

"Failed-AVP: contains an offending AVP that caused a failure. In case of a
failed grouped AVP, the Failed-AVP contains the whole grouped AVP. In case of a
failed AVP inside a grouped AVP, the Failed-AVP contains the single offending AVP."

----------
assignedto: dforsber
category: Technical
document: draft-ietf-pana-pana-07.txt
messages: 553
nosy: dforsber
priority: May Fix
status: Text Proposed
title: Error AVP handling
___________________________________________________
PANA Issues <[email-masked]>
<http://danforsberg.info:8080/pana-issues/issue162>
___________________________________________________
_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 05 May 2005 14:53:22 -0400

Hi Dan,

I agree with the proposed solution.

In fact, the parser implementation in Open Diameter does this.

Thanks,
Yoshihiro Ohba

---

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 06 May 2005 15:17:49 -0400

Hi Dan,

I think that it might be better to change section 7.3.4 rather than
changing section 4.1 in the following way:

Change:

"
7.3.4  Failed-AVP AVP

   The Failed-AVP AVP (AVP Code 4) provides debugging information in
   cases where a request is rejected or not fully processed due to
   erroneous information in a specific AVP.  The AVP data is of type
   Grouped.  The format of the Failed-AVP AVP is defined in [RFC3588].
"

to

"
7.3.4  Failed-AVP AVP

   The Failed-AVP AVP (AVP Code 4) provides debugging information in
   cases where a request is rejected or not fully processed due to
   erroneous information in a specific AVP.  The AVP data is of type
   Grouped.  In case of a failed grouped AVP, the Failed-AVP contains
   the whole grouped AVP.  In case of a failed AVP inside a grouped
   AVP, the Failed-AVP contains the single offending AVP.  The format
   of the Failed-AVP AVP is defined in [RFC3588].
"

Yoshihiro Ohba

On Wed, May 04, 2005 at 11:15:14AM +0300, [email-masked]
wrote: > New submission from Dan Forsberg <[email-masked]>: >
> Problem (Sasikanth): "When an AVP inside a Grouped AVP is in error
or is > unrecognized, what should the resulting PER message contain in
the Failed AVP - > the AVP that is in error or the entire Grouped AVP
itself?"  > > Solution (Dan): "Sorry for late reply. I would say that
the Failed-AVP AVP > should contain THE AVP that was unsupported or
contained invalid data. I > tried to catch this issue from the
Diameter spec, but couldn't find a > clarification there."  > > Text
proposal: > > Section 4.1 > > Change from: > > "Failed-AVP: contains
an offending AVP that caused a failure."  > > To: > > "Failed-AVP:
contains an offending AVP that caused a failure. In case of a > failed
grouped AVP, the Failed-AVP contains the whole grouped AVP. In case of
a > failed AVP inside a grouped AVP, the Failed-AVP contains the
single offending AVP."  > > ---------- > assignedto: dforsber >
category: Technical > document: draft-ietf-pana-pana-07.txt >
messages: 553 > nosy: dforsber > priority: May Fix > status: Text
Proposed > title: Error AVP handling >
___________________________________________________ > PANA Issues
<[email-masked]> >
<http://danforsberg.info:8080/pana-issues/issue162> >
___________________________________________________