Subject: [Pana] AD-review: pana-fwk (Section 10.1)

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 25 Oct 2005 00:02:38 +0300

>In that case, the client can be assigned a
>  temporary IP address (PRPA) prior to PANA authentication.  This IP
>  address might be obtained via DHCP with a lease reasonably long to
>  complete PANA authentication, or via the zeroconf technique
>  [I-D.ietf-zeroconf-ipv4-linklocal].  In either case, successful PANA
>  authentication signalling prompts the client to obtain a new (long
>  term) IP address via DHCP.  This new IP address (POPA) replaces the
>  previously allocated temporary IP address.
> 
>

So, two full DHCP cycles.

Alper: One DHCP cycle can be replaced by a zeroconf operation as the
text stated.

Most "ISP selection" deployments today are based on handoff of L2TP 
tunnels (many forced to this model by government regulation). It seems 
that this section is incomplete without covering PPP renegotiation of 
IPCP (and potentially LCP/AUTH), focusing instead on DHCP only.

Alper: The reason it only talks about DHCP case is that, it does not
make much sense to use PANA when PPP is used. We shall add some text to
state why PPP is not discussed in this section.

Alper

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana