Subject: [Pana] Issue 207 (AD-review, pana-fwk, section 7.2)

From: Yoshihiro Ohba <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 31 Oct 2005 16:26:44 -0500

>7.2  Notification of PaC Presence
>
>   When PAA and EP are separated and PAA is configured to be the
>   initiator of the discovery and initial handshake phase of PANA, EP
>   has the responsibility to detect presence of a new PaC and notifies
>   the PAA(s) of the presence [RFC4058].  Such a presence notification
>   is carried in a PAA-EP protocol message [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp].
>
>
Again, is this always snmp? If so, why not just say that? Opening the
door to too many options here just complicates deployment options,
interoperability, etc.

Is the issue that, since SNMP is rarely used for sets in routers today,
that you want to leave the door open to xml or cli filter config? If
that is the case, please state it (or if I'm completely out of line,
state that as well). You can even give the background here, that
vendor-specific filter installation may be used as it is more commonly
known, though a standard method such as SNMP MUST be implemented by a
compliant PANA implementation.

  Ohba: Sure.  We can revise Section 7.2 to explain background as
  follows:

  "
   7.2  Notification of PaC Presence

      When PAA and EP are separated and PAA is configured to be the
      initiator of the discovery and initial handshake phase of PANA,
      EP has the responsibility to detect presence of a new PaC and
      notifies the PAA(s) of the presence [RFC4058].  Such a presence
      notification is carried in a PAA-EP protocol message.  A
      vendor-specific protocol may be used for carrying the presence
      notification, though a standard method such as SNMP
      [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp] MUST be implemented by a compliant PANA
      implementation.
  "

  Also to be consistent, change the following paragraph in Section 7:

  "
   When a PaC is authenticated and authorized, the PAA should notify
   EP(s) and ask for installing filtering rules to allow the PaC to send
   and receive data traffic.  SNMP is used between PAA and EP(s) for
   this purpose when these entities are not co-located [I-D.ietf-pana-
   snmp].
  "

  to:

  "
   When a PaC is authenticated and authorized, the PAA should notify
   EP(s) and ask for installing filtering rules to allow the PaC to
   send and receive data traffic.  A PAA-EP protocol between PAA and
   EP(s) is used for this purpose.  A vendor-specific protocol may be
   used as a PAA-EP protocol, though SNMP is used for a complient PANA
   implementation.
  "

Regards,

Yoshihiro Ohba

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana

---

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 1 Nov 2005 00:07:51 +0200

I don't think we can mandate SNMP on any PANA implementation. A system
that solely relies on its proprietary PAA2EP protocol cannot be forced
to implement SNMP. I think all we can say is "SNMP [I-D.ietf-pana-snmp]
or a proprietary protocol MAY be used ...."

Alper

> -----Original Message-----
> From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf
Of
> Yoshihiro Ohba
> Sent: Monday, October 31, 2005 11:27 PM
> To: [email-masked]
> Cc: [email-masked]
> Subject: [Pana] Issue 207 (AD-review, pana-fwk, section 7.2)
> 
send