Subject: [Pana] FW: [Int-area] Discussion of subscriber authentication

From: "Alper Yegin" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 30 Mar 2007 01:30:41 +0300

FYI...

-----Original Message-----
From: Ralph Droms [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Thursday, March 29, 2007 8:47 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [Int-area] Discussion of subscriber authentication

At the dhc WG meeting in Prague, there was a discussion of "subscriber
authentication" and how that function might be provided through DHCP.  Ric
Pruss gave a presentation about a proposal for subscriber authentication
through DHCP:

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/dhc-2.pdf
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-pruss-dhcp-auth-dsl-00.txt

There is a related draft that was not discussed at the dhc WG meeting:

http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-zhao-dhc-user-authentication-01.tx
t

There was also a discussion of "Principles of Internet Host Configuration".
Dave Thaler gave a presentation about the draft he co-authored with Bernard
Aboba:

http://www3.ietf.org/proceedings/07mar/slides/dhc-7.pdf
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-aboba-ip-config-00.txt

During the discussion of subscriber authentication, it was noted that the
proposed solutions assume that DHCP is the right vehicle through which
subscriber authentication should take place.  That assumption needs to be
further examined; PANA, for example, provides an alternative solution which
does not depend on DHCP.  Before the IETF proceeds with a DHCP-based
solution, we need to discuss the broader issue of where subscriber
authentication should be implemented.

Accordingly, the Internet Area directors and the WG chairs have decided to
move the discussion of subscriber authentication to the int-area mailing
list.  This discussion will explore the subscriber authentication problem
space and requirements, to come to some initial consensus about where a
solution might belong.

To kick off the discussion, we are trying to get permission to publish
subscriber authentication requirements from the DSL Forum.

I've included [email-masked] as a BCC to this note, to inform the dhc WG
members that further discussion of subscriber authentication will move to
[email-masked].  I've also included [email-masked] as a BCC, to
make sure we have appropriate security clue in the discussion.

- Ralph

_______________________________________________
Int-area mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/int-area

_______________________________________________
Pana mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pana