Subject: [Paw] tentative PAW charter

From: "Pascal Thubert (pthubert)" <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 31 Jan 2019 14:40:20 +0000

Dear all:

As you know, we asked for a non-WG forming BoF at IETF 103 in Prague. If we are successful there, the aim is for a WG-forming BoF in Montreal. 
This really means that Prague is our chance to prepare for the real deal in Montreal, where we will have to show realistic goals and a critical mass of people to achieve them.
The core of the Montreal meeting will be the charter discussion. We'll present the technologies we support, and the documents we want to produce.

The work on the charter must start now, so we can narrow it down at IEF 103 and present it mostly complete at IETF 104. 
Based on early discussions at the Bar-BoF in Bangkok, please find below a for shot at the charter. Comments welcome!

Early PAW charter v0.1
-------------------------------
	
	Deterministic IP Networks are getting traction in multiple industries 
	(manufacturing, vehicle automation, professional A/V, gaming) with new
	developments in wired technologies (IEEE 802.1 TSN, IETF DetNet), enabling 
	the promises of the IT/OT convergence. 
	
	A perfect Deterministic IP Network would ensure that a bounded throughput
	of IP packets reaches its destination within a guaranteed time. In an
	imperfect world, Deterministic Networking is an attempt to eliminate packet
	loss for a committed bandwidth while ensuring a worst case end-to-end 
	latency, regardless of the network conditions and across technologies. 
 
    	Networks become more deterministic when the effects of statistical
	multiplexing are eliminated. This can be achieved by maintaining the
	amount of traffic within the physical capabilities of the technology,
	e.g., by the use of time-shared resources (bandwidth and buffers) per
	circuit, and/or by shaping and/or scheduling the packets at every hop.

    	Other types of physical-domain issue, e.g., a radio interference, a
	broken interface adapter, or an unplugged physical wire, can also be a
	source of data loss. When such breakage occurs, multiple packets are lost
	in a row before a flow is rerouted or the system recovers. Whereas random 
	packet loss can be solved by packet redundancy techniques (FEC, ARQ) these
	systemic issues a require higher-level redundancy at the path level.

	People might argue that wireless cannot be fully "deterministic" due to 
	uncontrolled interferences, including the self-induced multipath fading. 
	At least it is possible to provide a more Predictable and Available
	Wireless service by scheduling transmissions. Scheduling enables to create 
	diversity in the network in the spatial (multipath), time (scheduling) and
	frequency (hopping) domains, and get around all forms of interferences.
	
	The development of deterministic wireless technologies was so far lagging 
	behind that of wires both at the IEEE and the IETF. But recent advances
	(3GPP 5G, IEEE 802.11 ART, IEEE 802.15.4 TSCH, as well as proprietary and 
	military approaches) indicate that wireless is finally catching up at the
	lower layer and that time has come for the IETF to implement the 6TiSCH 
	Architecture and extend DetNet to wireless interfaces.
      
    	The Working Group will leverage cross-participation with the associated 
	set of stakeholders to ensure that the work taking place corresponds to 
	real demands and that the proposed solutions are indeed applicable. It 
	will focus on enabling PAW connectivity over the following selection of 
	deterministic wireless technologies: 3GPP 5G, IEEE Real Time Application 
	(RTA) 802.11 TIG, IEEE Std. 802.15.4 TSCH and possibly the L-band Digital
	Aeronautical Communications System (LDACS).

    The group will:

        1) Produce Informational work describing deterministic wireless
           use cases, in continuation to the DetNet use cases document
		
         2) Produce Informational work describing the technologies that the
            group will cover (5G, TSCH, RTA and LDACS) 

        3) Produce a Standards Track document to define the generic data models
           to install a PAW flow along a Track providing Packet Replication, 
           Elimination and Ordering Functions with Spatial, Frequency and Time
           diversity in a Scheduled FD/TDMA wireless Network.

        4) Produce a Standards Track document to enable some operations, 
           administration and maintenance (OAM) inside a PAW network, providing
           packet loss evaluation and automated adaptation to enable a trade off
           between resilience and energy spending.

-----------------------------

Cheers,

Pascal