Subject: [paws] Updated charter text

From: "Rosen, Brian" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 17:52:41 -0400

I believe we are pretty close to getting approval.  I want to confirm that this is the charter text we want.  I left "channel" as is.  We need to finalize this, so at this point, if you can live with it, say so, and if not, make specific wording proposals.  Consider this an (informal, we're not a work group, and have no chairs) call for consensus.

Protocol to Access White Space database (paws)
------------------------------------------------
Current Status: Proposed Working Group
Last updated: 2011-05-11

Chairs:
TBD

Area Directors:
TBD

Area Advisor:
TBD

Mailing lists:
Address: [email-masked]
To Subscribe: https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws
Archive: http://www.ietf.org/mail-archive/web/paws/

Description of Working Group:

Governments around the world continue to search for new pieces of radio
spectrum which can be used by the expanding wireless communications
industry to provide more services in the usable spectrum. The concept
of allowing secondary transmissions (licensed or unlicensed) in
frequencies allocated to a primary user is a technique to "unlock"
existing spectrum for new use. An obvious requirement is that these
secondary transmissions do not interfere with the primary use of the
spectrum. Often, in a given physical location, the primary user(s) may
not be using the entire band allocated to them. The available spectrum
for a secondary use would then depend on the location of the secondary
user. The primary user may have a schedule when it uses the spectrum,
which may be available for secondary use outside that schedule. The
fundamental issue is how to determine for a specific location and
specific time, if any of the primary spectrum is available for secondary
use. One simple mechanism is to use a geospatial database that records
protected contours for primary users, and require the secondary users to
check the database prior to selecting what part of the spectrum they
use. Such databases could be available on the Internet for query by
users.

In a typical implementation of geolocation and database to access TV
white space, a radio is configured with, or has the capability to
determine its location in latitude and longitude. At power-on, before
the device can transmit or use any of the spectrum set aside for
secondary use, the device must identify the relevant database to query,
contact the database, provide its geolocation and receive in return a
list of unoccupied or "white space" spectrum (for example, in a TV
White space implementation, the list of available channels at that
location). The device can then select one of the channels from the list
and begin to transmit and receive on the selected channel. The device
must query the database subsequently on a periodic basis for a list of
unoccupied channels based on certain conditions, e.g. a fixed amount of
time has passed or the device has changed location beyond a specified
threshold.

The databases are expected to be reachable via the Internet and the
devices querying these databases are expected to have some form of
Internet connectivity, directly or indirectly. The databases may be
country specific since the available spectrum and regulations may vary,
but the fundamental operation of the protocol should be country
independent, thus extensibility of data structures will be required. The
solution will not be tied to any specific spectrum, country, or
phy/mac/air interface but may incorporate relevant aspects of these as
needed for proper operation.

The working group will :

   - define the requirements for querying a white space database

- standardize a protocol for querying the database, which includes a
location sensitive database discovery mechanism and security for the
protocol, and application services.
- Standardize the data structure to be carried by the query
protocol.
  The protocol must protect both the channel enablement process and
  the privacy of users, and prevent unauthorized disclosure of a
  user's location. In some circumstances robust security
  mechanisms will be required to be used to prevent device identity
  spoofing, modification of device requests, modification of channel
  enablement information and impersonation of registered database
  services. Such security requirements may be in the scope of
  regulations which can vary between countries. The WG MUST
  consider these security aspects in the design of the protocol
  with sufficient flexibility to meet the needs of differing
  regulations/deployments.

 The working group will prefer to use existing IETF technologies
 and privacy mechanisms where possible.

The Working Group will set up and maintain appropriate contact and
liaison with other relevant standards bodies and groups, including IEEE
802.11af and IEEE 802.22 to begin with. The working group may also
consider input from regulatory entities that are involved in the
specification of the rules for secondary use of spectrum in specific
bands.

Goals and Milestones

Sep 2011  Submit 'Problem Statement and Requirements for Querying a
White Space Database' to the IESG for publication as Informational

Apr 2012  Submit 'Protocol for Querying a Whitespace Database' to
         the IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

Apr 2012  Submit 'Data Structure for White Space query protocol' to the
         IESG for publication as Proposed Standard

---

From: <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 21:54:51 +0000

Looks good. 

-Raj

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] On Behalf Of ext Rosen, Brian
Sent: Wednesday, May 11, 2011 4:53 PM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: [paws] Updated charter text

Chairs:
TBD

Area Directors:
TBD

Area Advisor:
TBD

Mailing lists:
Address: [email-masked]

Governments around the world continue to search for new pieces of radio spectrum which can be used by the expanding wireless communications industry to provide more services in the usable spectrum. The concept of allowing secondary transmissions (licensed or unlicensed) in frequencies allocated to a primary user is a technique to "unlock"
existing spectrum for new use. An obvious requirement is that these secondary transmissions do not interfere with the primary use of the spectrum. Often, in a given physical location, the primary user(s) may not be using the entire band allocated to them. The available spectrum for a secondary use would then depend on the location of the secondary user. The primary user may have a schedule when it uses the spectrum, which may be available for secondary use outside that schedule. The fundamental issue is how to determine for a specific location and specific time, if any of the primary spectrum is available for secondary use. One simple mechanism is to use a geospatial database that records protected contours for primary users, and require the secondary users to check the database prior to selecting what part of the spectrum they use. Such databases could be available on the Internet for query by users.

In a typical implementation of geolocation and database to access TV white space, a radio is configured with, or has the capability to determine its location in latitude and longitude. At power-on, before the device can transmit or use any of the spectrum set aside for secondary use, the device must identify the relevant database to query, contact the database, provide its geolocation and receive in return a list of unoccupied or "white space" spectrum (for example, in a TV White space implementation, the list of available channels at that location). The device can then select one of the channels from the list and begin to transmit and receive on the selected channel. The device must query the database subsequently on a periodic basis for a list of unoccupied channels based on certain conditions, e.g. a fixed amount of time has passed or the device has changed location beyond a specified threshold.

The databases are expected to be reachable via the Internet and the devices querying these databases are expected to have some form of Internet connectivity, directly or indirectly. The databases may be country specific since the available spectrum and regulations may vary, but the fundamental operation of the protocol should be country independent, thus extensibility of data structures will be required. The solution will not be tied to any specific spectrum, country, or phy/mac/air interface but may incorporate relevant aspects of these as needed for proper operation.

The working group will :

- standardize a protocol for querying the database, which includes a location sensitive database discovery mechanism and security for the protocol, and application services.
- Standardize the data structure to be carried by the query protocol.

 The working group will prefer to use existing IETF technologies  and privacy mechanisms where possible.

The Working Group will set up and maintain appropriate contact and liaison with other relevant standards bodies and groups, including IEEE 802.11af and IEEE 802.22 to begin with. The working group may also consider input from regulatory entities that are involved in the specification of the rules for secondary use of spectrum in specific bands.

Goals and Milestones

Sep 2011  Submit 'Problem Statement and Requirements for Querying a White Space Database' to the IESG for publication as Informational

_______________________________________________
paws mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/paws

---

From: "Jesse Caulfield" <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 11 May 2011 22:32:58 -0400

Hello Brian,

I made some light edits to enhance readability and precision but no changes
to the document's substance or spirit - the 2nd paragraph especially seemed
to ramble.

I hope the contribution is helpful but if my suggestions are too late then
what you had before was OK.
--
Jesse

Edited text below:

Governments around the world continue to search additional radio spectrum
for wireless broadband and other emerging communications services. The
concept of allowing secondary transmissions (licensed or unlicensed) in
frequencies allocated to a primary user is a technique to "unlock" existing
spectrum for new use. A requirement for secondary transmissions is they must
not interfere with the primary use of the spectrum. Often, in a given
physical location, the primary user(s) may not be using the entire band
allocated to them. The available spectrum for a secondary use would then
depend on the location of the secondary user. The primary user may have a
schedule when it uses the spectrum, which may be available for secondary use
outside that schedule. The fundamental issue is how to determine for a
specific location and specific time, if any of the primary spectrum is
available for secondary use. One simple mechanism is to use a geospatial
database that records protected contours for primary users, and require the
secondary users to check the database prior to selecting what part of the
spectrum they use. Such databases could be available on the Internet for
query by users.

In a typical implementation of geolocation and database to access TV white
space, a radio is configured with, or has the capability to determine its
location in latitude and longitude. At power-on, before the device can
transmit on spectrum that may be available for secondary use, the device
must identify the appropriate database to query, contact that database,
provide its geolocation and receive a description of unoccupied or available
"White Space" spectrum (for example, in a TV Bands implementation, the list
of channels is returned). The device may then select one of the channels
from the list and begin to transmit the selected channel. The device must
periodically query a database for a list of unoccupied channels based on
certain conditions, e.g. after a fixed amount of time has passed or if the
device has changed location beyond a specified threshold.

Databases are expected to be reachable via the Internet and the devices
querying these databases are expected to have some form of Internet
connectivity, directly or indirectly. The databases may be country specific
since the available spectrum and regulations may vary according to
regulation but the protocol's fundamental operation should be country
independent, thus extensibility of data structures will be required. The
solution will not be tied to any specific spectrum, country, or phy/mac/air
interface but may incorporate relevant aspects of these as needed for proper
operation.

The working group will :

- standardize a protocol for querying the database, which may include a
location discovery mechanisms, security and application services.

The protocol must protect the channel enablement process and user privacy
and also prevent unauthorized disclosure of a user's location. In some
circumstances robust security mechanisms may be required to prevent device
identity spoofing, modification of device requests, modification of channel
enablement information and impersonation of registered database services.
Security requirements may in regulation regulations which can vary between
countries. The WG MUST consider security aspects in the design of the
protocol and provide for sufficient flexibility to accommodate differing
regulations and country-specific implementations.

The working group will prefer to use existing IETF technologies and privacy
mechanisms where possible.

The Working Group will set up and maintain appropriate contact and liaison
with other relevant standards bodies and groups, including IEEE 802.11af and
IEEE 802.22 to begin with. The working group may also consider input from
regulatory entities that are involved in the specification of the rules for
secondary use of spectrum in specific bands.

Goals and Milestones

Sep 2011  Submit 'Problem Statement and Requirements for Querying a White
Space Database' to the IESG for publication as Informational

Apr 2012  Submit 'Protocol for Querying a Whitespace Database' to the IESG
for publication as Proposed Standard

Apr 2012  Submit 'Data Structure for White Space query protocol' to the IESG
for publication as Proposed Standard