Subject: [paws] I-D Action: draft-ietf-paws-protocol-05.txt

From: [email-masked]
Date: Tue, 04 Jun 2013 18:50:38 -0700

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts directories.
 This draft is a work item of the Protocol to Access WS database Working Group of the IETF.

	Title           : Protocol to Access Spectrum Database
	Author(s)       : Vincent Chen
                          Subir Das
                          Lei Zhu
                          John Malyar
                          Peter J. McCann
	Filename        : draft-ietf-paws-protocol-05.txt
	Pages           : 93
	Date            : 2013-06-04

Abstract:
   Portions of the radio spectrum that are allocated to licensees are
   available for non-interfering use.  This available spectrum is called
   "White Space."  Allowing secondary users access to available spectrum
   "unlocks" existing spectrum to maximize its utilization and to
   provide opportunities for innovation, resulting in greater overall
   spectrum utilization.

   One approach to manage spectrum sharing uses databases to report
   spectrum availability to devices.  To achieve interoperability among
   multiple devices and databases, a standardized protocol must be
   defined and implemented.  This document defines such a protocol, the
   "Protocol to Access White Space database" (PAWS).

The IETF datatracker status page for this draft is:
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/draft-ietf-paws-protocol

There's also a htmlized version available at:
http://tools.ietf.org/html/draft-ietf-paws-protocol-05

A diff from the previous version is available at:
http://www.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url2=draft-ietf-paws-protocol-05

Internet-Drafts are also available by anonymous FTP at:
ftp://ftp.ietf.org/internet-drafts/

---

From: Vincent Chen <[email-masked]>
Date: Tue, 4 Jun 2013 19:03:44 -0700

All,

I've updated the draft to incorporate the comments raised on the list in
response to version 04.
 - Clarified what should happen if device loses contact with Listing Server
 - Clarified that if a Database indicates a database-change via
DbUpdateSpec, the Device should
   only replace that database's entry with the alternate databases.

   Other Changes from 04:

    o  Add "masterDeviceDesc" parameter to the available-spectrum
       requests to allow both Master and Slave device descriptors when
       the Master is making the request on behalf of a Slave.
    o  Add "requestType" parameter to the available-spectrum requests to
       support requesting generic operating parameters for any Slave
       Device.
    o  Add DbUpdateSpec as optional parameter to all response messages
       and to the error response to allow a Device to detect a database
       change at any stage of the control flow.
    o  For the OUTSIDE_COVERAGE error, added ability to return a list of
       alternate databases
    o  Explicitly allow JSON-RPC v2.0 and v1.0 encodings
    o  Relaxed language that state, "MUST stop operation" to "MUST cease
       use of spectrum under rules for database-managed spectrum".  I.e.,
       the device may have other fallback strategies allowed by
       regulators.

Diff:
http://tools.ietf.org/rfcdiff?url1=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-paws-protocol-04.txt&url2=http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-paws-protocol-05.txt