Subject: [Pce] RE: I-D ACTION:draft-vijay-somen-pce-bgp-interas-te-path-01.txt

From: "Vijayanand C - TLS, Chennai." <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 25 Jan 2007 20:02:09 +0530

Hello all,
We have submitted the following I-D, please send in your
comments/suggestions

Regards
Vijay

-----Original Message-----
From: [email-masked] [mailto:[email-masked]] 
Sent: Tuesday, January 23, 2007 2:20 AM
To: [email-masked]
Subject: I-D ACTION:draft-vijay-somen-pce-bgp-interas-te-path-01.txt 

A New Internet-Draft is available from the on-line Internet-Drafts 
directories.

	Title		: A BGP based method to compute inter-AS Traffic
engineering Label Switched Paths with PCE
	Author(s)	: C. Vijayanand, S. Bhattacharya
	Filename	:
draft-vijay-somen-pce-bgp-interas-te-path-01.txt
	Pages		: 26
	Date		: 2007-1-22
	
The ability to compute an optimal path for setting up Traffic 
   engineering Label Switched Paths spanning multiple autonomous 
   systems managed by different operators has been a key requirement in 
   MPLS and GMPLS networks. This document specifies a method of 
   computing inter-AS paths consisting of a list of ASes to be 
   traversed and a list of TE-Tunnels to be traversed in each AS. The 
   method described here uses BGP speakers in the PCEs of each AS to 
   distribute the inter-AS connectivity information and the TE-Tunnels 
   in each AS to its neighbors to facilitate the construction of an 
   inter-AS topology graph which can be used for computing inter-AS
    paths.

A URL for this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-vijay-somen-pce-bgp-interas-te
-path-01.txt

DISCLAIMER:
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential and intended for the named recipient(s) only.
It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in 
this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure, modification, distribution and / or publication of 
this message without the prior written consent of the author of this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have 
received this email in error please delete it and notify the sender immediately. Before opening any mail and 
attachments please check them for viruses and defect.

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
Pce mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pce

---

From: JP Vasseur <[email-masked]>
Date: Wed, 31 Jan 2007 14:48:38 -0500

Hi,

> We have submitted the following I-D, please send in your

* speaking as a technical contributor *

    In [BRPC], a method to optimally compute a inter-domain TE
    path for MPLS and GMPS LSPs using the PCE architecture detailed in
    [PCE_ARCH] is described. However the method described requires the
    list of Autonomous systems or domains to be determined apriori.
    Determining the list of ASes/domains to be traversed to reach a
    destination, satisfying the TE constraints is non-trivial. It
    requires knowledge of the inter-AS connectivity and the TE
    characteristics of the inter-AS links along with the knowledge of
    the available paths within each of the ASes/domains. BGP contains
    information on the list of ASes to be traversed to reach a
    destination, however BGP route selection and decision process
    truncates most of the feasible paths, and it also does not carry
    the TE characteristics of the inter-AS links and path availability
    within a domain.

What does prevent you from relying on BGP to provide you all possible  
paths toward
a specific destination skipping the regular path selection process  
for specific routes (see
proposals made in the past) and then use BRPC as currently specified?  
The Inter-AS TE
link could easily be obtained via the IGP with minor additions.

This is in my opinion a fundamental question that must first be  
addressed before
moving forward.

Thanks.

JP.

> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> -------------------------------------------------
>
> The contents of this e-mail and any attachment(s) are confidential  
> and intended for the named recipient(s) only.
> It shall not attach any liability on the originator or HCL or its  
> affiliates. Any views or opinions presented in
> this email are solely those of the author and may not necessarily  
> reflect the opinions of HCL or its affiliates.
> Any form of reproduction, dissemination, copying, disclosure,  
> modification, distribution and / or publication of
> this message without the prior written consent of the author of  
> this e-mail is strictly prohibited. If you have
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------- 
> -------------------------------------------------
>