Subject: [Pce] Document Action: 'Applicability of the Path Computation Element (PCE) to Point-to-Multipoint (P2MP) Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) Traffic Engineering (TE)' to Informational RFC

From: The IESG <[email-masked]>
Date: Thu, 27 Aug 2009 10:45:17 -0700 (PDT)

The IESG has approved the following document:

- 'Applicability of the Path Computation Element (PCE) to 
   Point-to-Multipoint (P2MP) Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS) and 
   Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) Traffic Engineering (TE) '
   <draft-ietf-pce-p2mp-app-02.txt> as an Informational RFC

This document is the product of the Path Computation Element Working Group. 

The IESG contact persons are Ross Callon and Adrian Farrel.

A URL of this Internet-Draft is:
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-pce-p2mp-app-02.txt

Technical Summary

   The Path Computation Element (PCE) provides path computation
   functions in support of traffic engineering in Multiprotocol Label
   Switching (MPLS) and Generalized MPLS (GMPLS) networks.

   Extensions to the MPLS and GMPLS signaling and routing protocols have
   been made in support of point-to-multipoint (P2MP) Traffic Engineered
   (TE) Label Switched Paths (LSPs).

   This informational document examines the applicability of PCE to path
   computation for P2MP TE LSPs in MPLS and GMPLS networks. It describes
   the motivation for using a PCE to compute these paths, and examines
   which of the PCE architectural models are appropriate.

Working Group Summary

   The I-D has had some level of discussions and review in the PCE
   working group, and has gone through IETF last call. No controversy
   reported (see PROTO writeup by JP Vasseur). 

Document Quality

   This informational document does not define any protocol that could
   be implemented. Rather, there are other documents currently being 
   progressed in the PCE WG that define the associated requirements and 
   protocol extensions. Multiple service providers have expressed a 
   requirement for these extensions, and reportedly there is at least
   one implementation in testing. 

Personnel

   JP Vasseur is the Document Shepherd for this document. Ross Callon
   is the Responsible Area Director. The document has no IANA
   implications.