Subject: Re: [PCN] Open issues on architecture draft.

From: Magnus Westerlund <[email-masked]>
Date: Sat, 01 Dec 2007 21:17:25 +0100

Steven Blake skrev:
> Philip et. al., 
> 
> I think there are open issues surrounding Sec. 5.6,
> namely:
> 
> - how an egress node associates a received packet with an 
>   ingress-egress aggregate
> 
> - whether centralized nodes are in scope for the architecture
> 
> Regarding the former: I don't believe that it is the responsibility of
> PCN to mandate a mechanism for making the packet->aggregate association,
> nor is it our responsibility to define protocol mechanisms to facilitate
> this (although I would appreciate input from the ADs).  It would be good
> to discuss the issue in more detail in the document; e.g., list
> alternatives, discuss trade-offs, etc.

I think the discussion on the alternatives are very important. I
actually noticed this in my own reading of the architecture document. We
need to understand what the possibilities and their implications
actually are. What complexities and trade off does the different methods
for locating the ingress node mean for PCN. I don't understand this now.

When it comes to mandating one solution, I don't think the architecture
itself should do that. For specific deployment configurations that will
of course be necessary. However, I am still not certain if this will be
IETF's role at all for PCN.

Cheers

Magnus Westerlund

IETF Transport Area Director & TSVWG Chair
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Multimedia Technologies, Ericsson Research EAB/TVM
----------------------------------------------------------------------
Ericsson AB                | Phone +46 8 4048287
Torshamsgatan 23           | Fax   +46 8 7575550
S-164 80 Stockholm, Sweden | mailto: [email-masked]
----------------------------------------------------------------------

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
https://www1.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn