Subject: [PCN] Edge-Assisted Marked Flow Termination (EMFT)

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Sun, 24 Feb 2008 01:23:25 +0100

Hi,

there is a new Internet draft on edge-assisted marked flow termination 
(EMFT) which terminates only marked flows but uses excess marking in the 
core. The PCN edge nodes have an algorithm that avoids overtermination 
when configured appropriately.
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-menth-pcn-emft-00.txt

In the 3sm draft
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-babiarz-pcn-3sm-01.txt
we have described core-assisted marked flow termination (CMFT). This 
name is new and not yet in the -01 version of that document, but the 
mechanism is the same. CMFT also terminates only marked flows but uses 
marking frequency reduction in the core to avoid overtermination.

EMFT is the product of the fact that excess marking seems favorable 
since this marking behavior is already available and the insight that 
marked flow termination is favorable as it can deal with multipath 
routing such as ECMP. We have compared the termination behavior of EMFT 
and CMFT in
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/staff/menth/Publications/Menth08-PCN-MFT.pdf

Apart from that, this document also discusses end-to-end PCN-based 
admission control and flow termination and discusses requirements for 
PCN encoding to keep the door open for end-to-end PCN.

Comments are welcome.

Regards,

    Michael

-- 
Dr. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/888-6644, fax: (+49)-931/888-6632
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn

_______________________________________________
PCN mailing list
[email-masked]
http://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn