Subject: [PCN] DSCPs for experimental use

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:29:41 -0400

FYI, from RFC 2474:

   Pool        Codepoint space          Assignment Policy
   ----        ---------------          -----------------

    1            xxxxx0                 Standards Action
    2            xxxx11                 EXP/LU
    3            xxxx01                 EXP/LU (*)

   (*) may be utilized for future Standards Action allocations as
       necessary

So it is pool 3 that may require standards action allocation once poo1 1 is
depleted.
(I should have remembered since I wrote this section.)

As I mentioned in Jabber and Lars repeated on the mic, the PCN chairs
invite anyone who
wishes to perform PCN-related (or any Diffserv-related) experiments to
notify them of the
experimental codepoints they intend to use, and we will publish an informal
list of
codepoints in use by experiments for the convenience of the community.

Regards,

// Steve

---

From: "James M. Polk" <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 13:04:22 -0500

Also

please be aware of the new EF defined here
http://www.ietf.org/internet-drafts/draft-ietf-tsvwg-admitted-realtime-dscp-05.txt

and please PLEASE do not collide with this new codepoint, even in private.

thank you
James
(both as an author of this draft & and separately as a TSVWG chair - 
where this document is advancing*)

* I think this is the first time I've had both hats on when making a 
comment/plea

;-)

At 12:29 PM 3/27/2009, Steven Blake wrote:
>_______________________________________________
>PCN mailing list
>[email-masked]
>https://www.ietf.org/mailman/listinfo/pcn

---

From: Steven Blake <[email-masked]>
Date: Fri, 27 Mar 2009 14:19:28 -0400

> and please PLEASE do not collide with this new codepoint, even in
private.

101100 (the recommended codepoint) is in pool 0, managed by standards
action.

Needless to say, everyone is strongly discouraged from using codepoints in
pool 0 for experimental or local use.

Regards,

// Steve