Subject: [PCN] [Fwd: New Version Notification for draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-03]

From: Michael Menth <[email-masked]>
Date: Mon, 12 Jul 2010 22:51:07 +0200

http://tools.ietf.org/id/draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-03.txt

-------- Original-Nachricht --------
Betreff: 	New Version Notification for draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-03
Datum: 	Mon, 12 Jul 2010 13:47:16 -0700 (PDT)
Von: 	IETF I-D Submission Tool <[email-masked]>
An: 	[email-masked]
CC: 	[email-masked],[email-masked]

A new version of I-D, draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding-03.txt has been successfully submitted by Michael Menth and posted to the IETF repository.

Filename:	 draft-ietf-pcn-3-in-1-encoding
Revision:	 03
Title:		 Encoding 3 PCN-States in the IP header using a single DSCP
Creation_date:	 2010-07-12
WG ID:		 pcn
Number_of_pages: 12

Abstract:
The objective of Pre-Congestion Notification (PCN) is to protect the
quality of service (QoS) of inelastic flows within a Diffserv domain.
On every link in the PCN domain, the overall rate of the PCN-traffic
is metered, and PCN-packets are appropriately marked when certain
configured rates are exceeded.  Egress nodes provide decision points
with information about the PCN-marks of PCN-packets which allows them
to take decisions about whether to admit or block a new flow request,
and to terminate some already admitted flows during serious pre-
congestion.

This document specifies how PCN-marks are to be encoded into the IP
header by re-using the Explicit Congestion Notification (ECN)
codepoints within a PCN-domain.  This encoding builds on the baseline
encoding of RFC5696 and provides for three different PCN marking
states using a single DSCP: not-marked (NM), threshold-marked (ThM)
and excess-traffic-marked (ETM).  Hence, it is called the 3-in-1 PCN
encoding.

The IETF Secretariat.

-- 
PD Dr. habil. Michael Menth, Assistant Professor
University of Wuerzburg, Institute of Computer Science
Am Hubland, D-97074 Wuerzburg, Germany, room B206
phone: (+49)-931/31-86644 (new), fax: (+49)-931/31-86632 (new)
mailto:[email-masked]
http://www3.informatik.uni-wuerzburg.de/research/ngn